MacBook Pro Power Adapter...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by milzay, Jan 20, 2008.

1. milzay macrumors member

So I saw the other thread on here, but mine seems to have melted itself in a slightly different way. Unfortunately, I do not have a digital camera handy right now, so I had to use the built in camera. Basically I plugged in the charger as usual, the light flickered on it and then a spark/flame came out from where the adapter plugs into the laptop (or notebook - whatever they call them now). I unplugged it to find that the head part and pins had melted, and stunk of melting plastic. On top of this it left a mess in the adapter socket on the MBP. I managed to scrape out some of the melted plastic from the laptop, but there is still a burn mark on the laptop itself.
    I had extra cover (as it had passed the years warranty), however with deadlines and all, I could not afford to have the laptop taken away (standard procedure), so had to buy a new charger for £55!!! The annoying thing is that, previously the battery expanded and I had to get that changed to (handled by Apple).
    Really disappointed in the quality control measures here.
    The pics: (Showing difference between new adapter and old. Sorry about the quality of the pictures)

Attached Files:

2. skyrider007 macrumors 65816

skyrider007

you were lucky that didn't start a fire. BAD :apple:!

3. milzay thread starter macrumors member

No **** ( not in a sarcastic way). I had just woke up, lugged it in and got a big flame. If this was Microsoft people would be up in arms, talking about Bill Gates and his quality control, I do think that Apple is awesome, however this proof that Apple needs to sharpen up.

4. heatmiser macrumors 68020

Yup, the charger's been a problem for two years now (since '06), and Apple still hasn't fixed it. The MBA seems to use a redesigned charger, but we with MB/Ps are still left with our little white fire hazards.