Macbook Pro Power Brick dead...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ScottHemlock, Jan 23, 2010.

1. ScottHemlock macrumors member

ScottHemlock

I went upstairs last night to find my Macbook Pro's charger had no light lit up on it. I tried everything including changing wall sockets, resetting the SMC, with and without the battery - nothing! I then noticed I could feel the electrical current on my Macbook Pro and then it started, a loud ticking coming from the brick. It's dead.

It's just under 18 months old. Apple has said that I have no Applecare, no tech support and no warranty so buy a new one. I thought electronics HAD to have a 2-year warranty on them in Europe? Can I take that to apple? It's £60 for a new one and things like this shouldn't fail after just 17 months.

It's the old 85W type. The guy at Apple told me they only do the "new" 60W types. Can I use these with a June '08 Macbook Pro? I've had no end of problems with my MBP. I may call an end to Apple - I'm not happy paying over the odds for this Macbook less than 18 months ago for it to have had so many problems already.

2. Fishrrman macrumors G5

Fishrrman

Do a google search, and you will find that there are 3rd-party power supplies available for far less than what Apple charges....

3. Collider macrumors regular

Agree with you that it sucks, and is out of line for an expensive item to stop dead after just 17 months, but I think the warranty on electronics is country-specific, not continent, so you may be out of luck there.

4. ScottHemlock thread starter macrumors member

ScottHemlock

Thanks!

Thanks for the replies you two. Any chance of a link to any 3rd party ones? Are they safe and more solidly built then Apple's?

5. tomjleeds macrumors 6502a

tomjleeds

I imagine the OP was referring to 'Europe' as the EU, not as the geographical continent. Either way, it's 12 months, not 24.

ScottHemlock, even if you're in the UK and somewhat covered by the Sale of Goods Act (all electronics are required to have a 'reasonable working life'), the fact that it's technically an accessory will probably put the brakes on you trying that approach.

6. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

Ebay is fraught with cheep Chinese knock offs. The competition is for low price, not high quality, so your best bet will be to go back to Apple's product (although you can usually find it cheaper elsewhere), such as it is.

7. davidlv macrumors 65816

Sorry, just read this but still can't remember where you are located, so if you're in the EU, shipping and/or tax-custom charges may take their toll, but there are options online. One example is OWC in the USA (put the usual disclaimer here, just a satisfied user .... etc.)
    http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/accessories/Power_Adapters
    I am sure there are other venders available, so do some work on Google when you have the time. OWC does ship overseas, fairly quickly too in my experience.
    Good Luck