MacBook Pro Power Button

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by cartmell, Oct 25, 2007.

1. cartmell macrumors member

cartmell

I've noticed that the power button on my MacBook Pro has sunken on the left hand side. I havent been pressing the button hard and was wondering has this happened to anyone else, is it a common fault?

The MBP is still in warranty so should I take it back to a store or just phone Apple. Will the store fix there and then. I dont really want to travel for 2 and half hours for them to tell me they need to keep hold of it, if this were the case then I would just phone them.

thanks for any advice

2. macsat macrumors newbie

Happened to me as well. Was fixed under warranty without any questions.

3. cartmell thread starter macrumors member

cartmell

How long did it take to fix?

4. Cerebrum macrumors regular

Cerebrum

Did you drop any sugary liquids there by accident? Happened to my gf's PB, but it seems to have fixed itself somehow.

5. majidf macrumors member

Have the same problem with the power button. When the MBP arrived I noticed that it did'nt feel right (too soft) when I pushed it, and after a few pushes I noticed a sharp left side and since then its sunken even more and is only holding up on the right side. I've reported this but don't care to repair as I will receive a replacement unit hopefully soon as this is not the only issue with this MBP.

6. Cerebrum macrumors regular

Cerebrum

I'd get it fixed depending on the amount of time it takes to get it repaired.

7. polycat33 macrumors 6502

It's a common problem, as far as I know. It happened to me, and I still haven't gotten it fixed. It hasn't gotten worse, and it's been like that for a month or two... someone said it might get worse but it hasn't so I don't feel too rushed to get it fixed. Especially since getting it fixed involves taking the case apart (the top piece off) and I worry about it having more problems after that then just a dippy power button.

8. kcchong macrumors newbie

I have the same problem on my MBP. I brought to the only authorised apple reseller in my country which is where I bought it as well. It is still under warranty and they will replace the part BUT they want to charge me $40 (that's equivalent to US$30) for labor! Is that right or should I bring this matter up with apple?

9. TBi macrumors 68030

TBi

It should be free as long as it is under warranty. Although you will have to log it with apple and get the "service number", or whatever it is called. Give that to the apple reseller and they can bill apple for the work.

10. RITZFit macrumors 65816

RITZFit

Mine has sunken in a bit as well. Does anyone know if it can cause any kinda of internal damage? its been like this for atleast a few months but I don't have time to send in my laptop (unless its really serious or something :confused: )

11. tngisaga macrumors member

I had the exact same problem where the power button sunk into the top case. Fortunately, my laptop was still under warranty so I dropped it off at Apple. They had to ship my computer to a repair center, but this is because my laptop had a hinge problem as well. All is well now.