Macbook Pro power issue

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by starsong1966, Aug 8, 2011.

1. starsong1966 macrumors newbie

starsong1966

On a Macbook Pro, does the battery need to be good for the ac adapter to work? Will the unit power up with the just the adapter plugged in and the battery out?
    thanks in advance!

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

3. starsong1966 thread starter macrumors newbie

starsong1966

need help

thanks but I still did not see the answer to one of my questions.
    Can the unit still power up with the adapter even if the battery is bad?
    I have a problem and I don't know whether to go buy a new battery or not.
    I have the adapter plugged in but the unit is still not coming on. The battery does seem to have one spot on it that has unsealed, like the glue is not sticking.

4. snaky69 macrumors 603

Take it to Apple and have them look at it, if your battery has swelled they may replace it for free.

It should still be booting though, you probably have some other issue going on.

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Rather than removing the battery, a better approach is to describe the problem you're trying to resolve. Yes, it should boot up, but that's not the proper course of action in troubleshooting. What is the problem you're trying to solve?

6. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

7. starsong1966 thread starter macrumors newbie

starsong1966

I bought a used Macbook Pro off of ebay and it won't power up. I know that the battery is bad, because the ad said it was. A power adapter came with it but it doesn't have the apple logo on it. I'm pretty sure that I need the power adapter with the apple logo icon on it. I'm just hoping that's all that it is and not something else. The guy seems to be working with me and said he sent the wrong adapter and is sending me the "right" adapter.

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Yes, you should certainly use an Apple MagSafe adapter. Apple hasn't licensed the MagSafe to anyone else, so don't settle for a 3rd party adapter.