macbook pro power issues

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by nickandre21, Jun 21, 2012.

1. nickandre21 macrumors 6502a

hey guys i did search some help articles but none seem to solve my issue.

I have a macbook pro 13" late 2011 i use it mostly on power supply but 2/3 times a week while traveling its used on battery supply. The issue i have been having has cropped up about a month back, if i use my macbook on battery supply for an hour or so and then connect my charger it doesn't detect it and neither does the indicator on the magsafe port light up, I've checked in the system info and neither is a charger detect there as well, i kept connecting the charger a few times but nothing helped eventually the battery got discharged and my macbook shut down i kept the charger plugged in but only after an hour it displayed a green light and finally changed to amber and i could boot up. Few days later when i used it on the battery the same issue occurred so i resetted the smc but nothing happened the battery discharged and even after 4 hours it did not detect a charger so i plugged in the charger from my other macbook and at once it detected it but the indicator light was on green for some time and eventually changed to amber. Few days later again the same issue occurred and the charger from my old macbook as well wasn't detected so i connected the one i was using previously and it worked but the indicator light stayed on green for some time.
    Then again this issue occurred and the old charger worked again in the same way.

i found out whenever this issue occurs and i switch chargers the issue goes away and both chargers are detected well, have used both these charger on the other macbook and found no issues at all. If i use the battery for 10-20 minutes the issue does not occur. Coconut battery says my battery is at 95% of its designed capacity i.e 5508 mAh/5770 mAh. When i got my macbook new the capacity shown dropped to 98% after 10 load cycles I re-calibrated the battery a few times but it does not change the battery capacity. The battery has 65 load cycles on it.
    what do you guys feel is the issue? the mag safe board or the battery it self?
    Ive got the latest efi updates and other updates but the issue still occurs.

thanks for your help guys.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

3. nickandre21 thread starter macrumors 6502a

thanks mate i went through it, and understood few more things about my macbook, by the way thats the same way i have calibrated the batteries but the issue now is it won't detect a charger if it is used for a few hours on battery supply but will start detecting chargers if i use another one but the magsafe connector light stays at green for a minute before changing to amber.
    However the battery life capacity doesn't seem to fluctuate only keeps decreasing. I had purchased two MacBooks this one I'm facing these issues on and another one i did the battery calibration on both and on this one with issues it started with 100% life then after some load cycles dropped to 98% and stayed there while the other one for the first 2-3 cycles went to 98% and went back to 100%, its still there at 100% there even after 80 load cycles while this one is currently at 95% with 66 load cycles. Could this be an issue?

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The built-in batteries in the newer Mac unibody notebooks come pre-calibrated and do not require regular calibration like the removable batteries. Re-read the CALIBRATION - NEWER UNIBODY MODELS section of the FAQ.

Re-read the CALIBRATION section of the FAQ. It will not affect your battery health in any way. It only makes readings more accurate and doesn't need to be done on newer unibody notebooks. It will not affect charging or chargers.

See the link for troubleshooting MagSafe adapters at the bottom of the CHARGING section of the Battery FAQ.

5. nickandre21 thread starter macrumors 6502a

well i went through the mag-safe trouble shooting faq section, have cleant the connectors changed to a different power outlet verified that my boot room and smc is the current version. Verified that my charger is not getting to hot and this time using a third charger to rule out possibilities of both the chargers being the culprit.
    i let the battery charge fully after which I used the macbook on battery supply viewing some flash videos and iTunes till i got a prompt that the battery is running on reserve power and i need to connect to a power source, i connected the third charger and this one as well failed the magsafe indicator light wasn't illuminated and neither was it showing as charging or charger connected, so i used the other charger and it worked tried with the third charger then that worked as well.
    all three chargers aren't getting hot and work flawlessly on the other macbook

heres the battery info
    Charge Remaining (mAh): 5484
    Fully Charged: Yes
    Charging: No
    Full Charge Capacity (mAh): 5508
    Health Information:
    Cycle Count: 67
    Condition: Normal

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

There are 3 primary components to your charging system: the MagSafe adapter, the battery and the logic board. If you rule out the first two, that leaves the logic board. I would take it to Apple and let them diagnose the problem.

7. nickandre21 thread starter macrumors 6502a

sure ill do that soon, have to back up all my data then. Thanks for all your help mate, will update whenever it gets fixed.