macbook pro power problems. need help with diagnosis!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by corsica, Sep 3, 2011.

1. corsica macrumors newbie

corsica

Hi,
    I have a 2ghz pre-unibody macbook pro. The battery won't charge and it says "not charging" in the top right hand corner of the menu bar. The laptop also occasionally just shuts off with no warning. I replaced the battery last week, thinking that was the problem, but even with the new battery this problem persists. I have two magsafe power cords and the problem is the same with both of them. I have tried zapping the PRAM, running Disk Utility repairs, fixing disk permissions, and re-setting the SMC - none of that worked. I have also tried cleaning the macsafe connector and port with a qtip and alcohol.
    Basically, my guess is that the problem is one of three things:
    1. Worst case scenario: could be the logic board. But I replaced the logic board in March (2011) so this seems unlikely, but still possible.
    2. Could be the left i/o board. The part costs about $100, and I could replace it myself, but I want to be sure this indeed is the problem before I buy the part.
    3. Could be just the battery connector cable. The part is just $15, and I could replace it myself.
    Any ideas/advice/suggestions? Does this sound like a bad left i/o board???
    Thanks so much for any help you can offer!

2. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

Take it to Genius Bar, ask them what is wrong.

If its something you can fix, take it home and do it yourself.
    If not, ask them to do it for you.