MacBook Pro Power Supply for MacBook?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by macaddicted, Jan 17, 2008.

1. macaddicted macrumors regular

macaddicted

I have a 15" Core Duo MBP. I purchased a second power supply for it because I only used it in two places (and made my life a little easier). I hadn't needed to use the MBP as a laptop for a while and ended up connecting several devices to the computer. Now every port is used except the audio in jack. I'm back to needing a laptop, and the thought of constantly having to unplug and re-plug all the devices was a bit much for everyday use so I bought a MacBook.

Which brings me to my question: Can you use the MBP power supply on a MB? I don't travel to places where I can't plug the computer into the AC power so I don't want to buy a second battery, or a second power supply if I can avoid it.

Any info is appreciated.

2. Catch macrumors 6502

At work people are always using each others power supplies and have been doing so for ages. Thats a mix of Pro and normal. I currently use a MacBook power supply with my Pro. Someone told me that the MacBook supply was not rated for the Pro machine, but I have had no problem.

Having said that, I am sure if you called apple they would tell you to use the right supply.

I would not recommend you do what I/we do, just saying thats how we do it...

Regards,

C

3. Littlehoof macrumors member

if it was important not to mix and match the power supply between the two machines I would rather expect apple to use different shape magsafe adaptors for the two of them - since they both fit the same adaptor I recon you can be fairly confident they swap over without causing harm ;)

4. macaddicted thread starter macrumors regular

macaddicted

I checked the power settings on each supply. The MBP supply is 1/20 (.05) of an amp lower at the same voltage. So I'm guessing it should be OK.

5. shoppy macrumors 6502a

I have used both on either machines with no problem, just tool longer using a MB charger on the MBP.