Macbook Pro powerblock getting very hot..

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by synchr0, Mar 10, 2008.

1. synchr0 macrumors newbie

I noticed when I have my MBP plugged in the powerblock becomes very hot, sometimes the computer itself does as well. The funny thing is.. this only happens sometimes..

Could it have something to do with outlets not being grounded possibly?

2. Winglet macrumors regular

Winglet

Can you give us some more information on your computer. Is this a new computer or an original MBP. The power bricks were changed, I believe in late 2006 or early 2007 and most people have had no issues with the newer ones.

Do you notice any exposed wire near the ends, especially near the mag safe connection?

If it is too hot to touch, it is not safe to use and you should unplug and get it replaced.

It is probably worth a trip to the Apple Store to discuss so you don't have a fire!

3. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

When your MBP is charging, it's normal for the powerblock to become slightly warm, though it shouldn't get so warm you can't touch it.

However, if the insulation on the cord starts to fray, or there's a visible "kink" in the cord or it gets warm. Stop using it immediately - it could be a fire risk. Finally, if the powerblock starts to "buzz", please stop using it and return it to Apple, as it's supposed to be silent!

It's also considered normal for your MBP to run slightly warmer than a PC counterpart, sometimes the underside can be up to 36°C. If the heat concerns you, you can always download a smcFanControl and override the default fan speeds. Also, whenever your using the wifi, the left side of the keyboard will always be slightly warmer, this is where your wifi card lives.

4. Winglet macrumors regular

Winglet

5. synchr0 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ah, well that clears that up..

But the MBP is brand new, bought maybe 4 months ago.. There are no freys on the wire or anything, or kinks, so that filters out that cause..

I think I may take it in tomorrow and have it looked at, this would be covered under apple care I hope?

6. djellison macrumors 68020

I noticed today that my brick was unusually warm. I've never gone "Ouch" when handling it before. But tonight, it's very hot. To hot to hold for any length of time. Painfully hot to hold after 3 seconds. (SR 2.2 Ghz MBP, bought refurbed about 6 weeks ago)

I got an indoor/outdoor electronic thermometer on it, currently it's at 58 deg C (edit - now at 60.5.... 62) and rising with the outdoor sensor sat on top of the brick.

That can't be normal, surely?

I had an MBP for 12 months ( my other half now has it ) and it's brick never got like that.

Doug