MacBook Pro Preferences (Accounts resetting)

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Hayezy, Sep 28, 2010.

1. Hayezy macrumors newbie

I'm having real trouble with a macbook pro once its been bound to Open Directory.

The problem is that when the user logs on, when they set all their display preferences, mouse setting etc once they log off and back on again the settings are back to normal.

Can anyone shed any light on what I need to do to make the prefs stick for each user

Cheers

2. techfreak85 macrumors 68040

techfreak85

Are just the network accounts resetting or are the local accounts resetting too?

3. Hayezy thread starter macrumors newbie

4. techfreak85 macrumors 68040

techfreak85

Are you the server administrator? If you are, you most likely don't have the user accounts' home folders configured correctly. Can you post a screen shot of the Home tab in Workgroup Manager after selecting a user?
    Should look *sorta* like this
    [​IMG]

5. Hayezy thread starter macrumors newbie

I am the server admin, and we don't have that setup, as the users are coming from AD. I'm using OD to lockout certain prefs etc

All the problem users are in a group to rather than managed individually

I did think it might be something to do with the users home folder on AD but making the user owner and giving them full control doesn't help the problem

6. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

So what exactly is the problem?

You said in the first post that you were having trouble with users prefs sticking.

In the second post, you said you are trying to lock out certain prefs.

If user prefs aren't sticking, you need to manage that preference "Once." That way on initial login, they will get the Managed prefs but any changes they make will stick.

If you are having trouble with Managed Prefs sticking, check that the appropriate folder exists in /Library/Managed Preferences. You can also check that users com.apple.MCX.plist.

One last thing, is your Magic Triangle otherwise functioning properly?

7. Hayezy thread starter macrumors newbie

sorry, should have explained myself a bit better

I'm locking out network settings, security settings and a few other bits and pieces that I don't want the users changing.

But appearance isn't locked out for example, if the users selects the check box to double click the title bar to minimise, then closes system prefs, when they go back in the box is unchecked again

The same thing is happening with the mouse speed, the speed can be set to the fastest, but on restart the setting is back to default

8. Hayezy thread starter macrumors newbie

Checked the Home tab in work group manager and the user onlt has /user
    no other drives or shares.

I take it this isn't correct?

9. Hayezy thread starter macrumors newbie