Macbook Pro - Pretty hot and weird high pitched noises.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Haywire Robot, Dec 28, 2007.

1. Haywire Robot macrumors newbie

Hey everyone.

New to the Macbook Pro. First thing I was wondering is are these computers spose to get so hot? I've heard they're not to be used on someone's lap for too long, but I don't want it to overheat or something. It seems to only get REALLY hot during audio editing.

Does anyone have this high pitched noise coming through their audio output? It's a bit annoying but I'm willing to put up with it considering it goes away when I'm listening to music or something.

Edit - I also just noticed the noises get worse when the computer gets hotter? Hm...?

Thanks!

2. brock2621 macrumors 6502a

brock2621

Yeah man,

I just got mine a couple days ago and was quite alarmed at how frickin hot it gets. I mean, i heard it got hot but dude... it gets HOT!! I was pushing 190F when video editing. And those high pitched noises are the fans man.... surely you figured that out...

I downloaded smccontrolfan and just keep it at 4,000rpm at all times. I wish there was a program that you could set it for a temperature goal. So it adjusts the fan speeds dynamically to keep it at the target temp. But alas... until that comes around smc (or whatever it's called) will work. Keeps my temps around 130 now :)

3. Haywire Robot thread starter macrumors newbie

Ah, so this is normal?

And downloading the controlfan won't hurt the computer?

4. brock2621 macrumors 6502a

brock2621

Yeah i assume in regards to other macbooks it's "normal." but that's a relative term in this regard cuz in my opinion that's way too hot. I don't know what they are rated at but good grief...

As far as i know it doesn't hurt the computer. Ask around teh forums...

5. Haywire Robot thread starter macrumors newbie

6. brock2621 macrumors 6502a

brock2621

download a widget called istat pro. it will keep track of how hot your computer is and the fans speeds, ram usuage etc...

7. steve31 macrumors 6502a

steve31

My MBP gets up to 90c:eek::eek: before the fans kick up and then only go to around 3000. I am going to give apple a call tomorrow.

8. motulist macrumors 68040

motulist

Is there any reason to think the coming mbp update will do anything to ameliorate the problem? Are the new chips supposed to run cooler?

9. hakuryuu macrumors 6502

I have several different settings for different situations for smc. Even with the fans at full blast playing games or video editing I used to see temps in excess of 82C. I read something saying to run at this temp doing whatever for several hours to help the thermal paste/grease settle better and it seemed to work. I rarely see temps over 72-75C and run in the 40-50C range for normal stuff. Lightroom gets me up to about 55C at times, but either way its not too bad. I agree though that the auto fan speed controller doesn't do it's job.