MacBook Pro price drop?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Diablogt90, Jun 16, 2013.

1. Diablogt90 macrumors newbie

Hey all my name is Kyle and I joined just to inquire about this after lurking for over a month now. I am looking at getting a macbook pro retina soon (coming over from windows), so I have been obsessively checking the apple site for refurbs (not sure if I am going to wait for haswell or get a refurb).

Upon making my way to the refurb site I saw that the base 15" retina macbook pro was now listed at 1999 instead of 2199 and the higher model was listed at 2599 instead of 2799. I was excited because I thought, hey maybe Ill just get one now because they are 200 bucks cheaper, or maybe this means a new refresh is coming soon? I dont really have apple products so I am not familiar with their price drop/new product strategy so much except for info gathered from here. Just went on the apple website again and they are back to regular price. Anyone have any idea why they were cheaper this afternoon? I swear I am not seeing things. Was this a mistake and an indication that they are going to drop in price soon? Was looking at the forum and didnt see a thread on it (unless I missed it). Just thought I'd point it out and see if anyone knew why. Thanks!

P.S. Ill make another thread with a formal introduction and more information regarding my personal dilemma which is why I am on this site so much now haha.

2. tillsbury macrumors 65816

It's not just happened but it's also not necessarily imminent. Sometime between August and October probably... but you never know. Obviously they'll be upgraded at some point soon enough but if you want one just get one.

(convert from Windows last June...)

3. Seniordan macrumors regular

4. Mr. RPG macrumors 6502a

QFT.

It's $1999 for education discount.

Rumor has it the US BTS sale starts tomorrow and its up to $200 for Macs, making it $1799, but it still sucks.. if you have to taxes like me. :( 9.25% taxes..

5. Diablogt90 thread starter macrumors newbie

Seniordan, you are probably right, I didnt even think of that because I am not in school. However, I was trying to figure out education pricing the other day because my cousin is going to college this fall, it must have saved that information on my phone.

Thanks!

----------

ouch 9.25% sales tax hurts. Thanks for the quick responses guys you are fast, seems like the best forum out there for information for a mac newbie like myself (or soon to be anyways).

6. Mr. RPG macrumors 6502a

$184 in tax for the $1999 15" rMBP model. :cool:

7. fusionjones macrumors newbie

Is it common for Apple to take additional money off of the educational discount during the BTS promo? I always thought they only offered the physical incentive (iPod, gift card, etc).

8. Mr. RPG macrumors 6502a

What do you mean? The rumor is that it will be up to $200 off for Macs this year. Then you get up to $200 additional off for education discounts.

9. fusionjones macrumors newbie

Wow I didn't hear that. I really, really hope it happens tomorrow then cause I have to pick my comp up this week.

10. Mr. RPG macrumors 6502a

Interestingly, if Apple doesn't announce their BTS promo tomorrow, it will officially be the longest period Apple hasn't announced it. The longest Apple has ever taken was June 16th to get the BTS promo going.

11. lcseds macrumors 6502a

I think you will get the edu pricing and probably a $100 card for the app store. No additional discounts except on black friday. I have never seen additional discounts at back to school above the edu price. Why would there be? That is Apple's big season, they don't need any discounts to sell.

12. Zac10 macrumors newbie

bestbuy

Bestbuy already started their back to school program by taking $100 off of macbooks. I wonder if Apple's discount will be any better then that?

13. NukeIT macrumors regular

I think I am going nuts too... I swear I priced out a rMBP 15" yesterday with EPP discount at $3250 (processor bump and apple care) today it is pricing at $3112....

I havent even had a drink since Friday, so cant blame being drunk.... :p

14. lcseds macrumors 6502a

Keep an eye on Best Buy's clearance and open box webpage. I picked up a new in the box 2.6/8/512 for $1999. That's $500 off which will help if I want to sell it for a Haswell/Broadwell. Doesn't hurt to also have a 60 day return policy with Reward Zone Silver and bonus dollars coming. Not to mention 18 mos no finance charge. I don't think I could get a Haswell system for anyewhere near that price that is spec'd the same. I think once you stop reading the complaints about the 2012 model, you will find it a great machine.