Macbook pro price drop?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by 123macman, Jan 14, 2010.

1. 123macman macrumors member

Does anyone think that the next update of the macbook pro line will be cheaper?

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I think usually the prices on the older models are discounted slightly and the new models keep pretty much the same price with higher specs

But nobody knows for sure what will happen

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

3. barkomatic macrumors 68040

I'm hoping they go the route of adding more new features, rather than drop the price on what they already have and bump the processor.

4. Surely Guest

Surely

I'm sure some people think (or hope) that.

But it is very highly unlikely.

So: NO.

You may be able to buy the current MBP models at a slightly discounted price once the new ones are released......

5. Habitus macrumors 6502a

Habitus

Highly unlikely. Also, the only way you'll see a price drop is in the refurbished store.

Habitus :apple:

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

You're asking that a brand new model, new platform (arrandale) will also receive a price cut? Highly unlikely. Besides based on reports, it seems components for computers are short supply causing prices to inch up which further indicates that a price cut is unlikely.

7. Collider macrumors regular

Is it at all possible that there might actually be a bit of an increase in price for the new models? If the Arrandale chips are more expensive than C2D (I don't have a clue whether they are or not, I'm just going by the logical guess that Better = Expensive), and if components are coming in short supply too (as maflynn observed above)... not to mention a potential boost in harddrive size... well, their outgoing money is likely to be quite a bit higher than it is for the current models, and they've got to make up the extra numbers somewhere.

I know it doesn't make a lot of business sense, especially not in the current climate where people's purse-strings are as tight as they can go, and I'm certainly not trying to suggest that it's going to happen... I'm just genuinely curious as to whether it's possible.

8. Spandexman macrumors regular

I believe arrandale is actually cheaper than c2d, and despite increasing the specs, the price for the old bits was set 7 months ago, so they'll be cheaper now. you'll be able to get better parts for the same price as current ones 7 months ago.

9. Eric S. macrumors 68040

Eric S.

This is Apple we're talking about, after all.

10. tmart15 macrumors newbie

NO! I went to a third party reseller the other day to purchase 13" pro. It was his last one in stock and he explained that it was discontinued with the $1400 being the only 13" still available. I don't know what this means but it sounds good.

11. psingh01 macrumors 65816

I think prices will stay the same. They dropped the last time around, don't see them dropping again.

12. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

Yeah - last time was HUGE step for Apple on prices. Do I think these prices were a step compared to Dell, HP, or whoever? No. Are they a huge step compared to Apple's normal prices? Abso-lutely.

So, it's safe to say the next gen of MBP will match the existing price points. I'm guessing they won't put a dedicated GPU into the base 15" for a long long time (my one wish).

13. dankybear macrumors regular

14. Mac. macrumors 6502

The MBP 13" has gone up by £20 over the last month. Anyone know why?

15. hyperpiper45 macrumors regular

VAT going back to 17.5% maybe?

16. Bhavin macrumors newbie

VAT has gone up in enlgand as of 1st january 2010.
    from 15% to the normal 17.5%

17. Irosaki macrumors member

Irosaki

yep, and they are talking about it going upto 20% by next year if they have their way.....

18. newdeal macrumors 68020

price will NOT go down, if it did they would need to get rid of the unibody macbook which just came out so thats not happening. I think the 13" will stay mostly unchanged, perhaps a slightly faster core 2 duo processor in the base model and a bigger HDD but that is it. The 15 and 17s will be the only ones to get arrandale and it will be an option not on all the configs mark my words

19. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

hope you fail...epically.

20. Surely Guest

Surely

My opinion is similar to yours, except for your theory on the 15" and 17" MBPs. I think those will come with the new chipset, but the 13" will be the current one, with a speed bump and larger HD.

It won't be an option- the only people who care (or know) about these details are people like us. The bulk of Apple consumers don't know what Arrandale is, and probably think it's a suburb of Phoenix or something.

21. Mac. macrumors 6502

What are the chances the MBP will see an upgrade this month?

When is the next Apple event?

22. wilro15 macrumors newbie

Agreed