Macbook Pro Price Increase

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by cookies!, Oct 27, 2016.

1. cookies! macrumors 6502

I was a little shocked when I saw how much Apple was raising prices on some Macbook Pros. But I thought it was interesting that the Surface Book with an i7, 256GB SSD, and 965m GPU costs about the same as the 15" Macbook Pro with the same specs, and scales similarly from there.

The Surface Book has 6 more hours of battery life and doubles as a tablet with the best writing recognition and OS flexibility in the field. I'd prefer those features to an OLED strip that are partially better than the keys they replaced.

I'm really considering ditching my 2014 Macbook Pro at this point.

2. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

I think the Surface prices show that top tier electronics cost a lot! :(

3. puma1552 macrumors 601

the new macbook pros are in line with prices from 2008ish. prices have been cheaper than usual for several years.

4. mikeo007 macrumors 65816

The 15" MBP is about 2x as fast CPU wise, and about 2x as fast SSD wise compared to the surface book. It's kind of a different class of device. Both have their niches.

5. cookies! thread starter macrumors 6502

There are a lot of other considerations though. Low inflation, Apple's massively improved economy of scale... I can go on.

I just think that anyone who isn't a hardcore professional should get a Surface Book.

In a way, that justifies the Pro name on this laptop, huh? :)