MacBook Pro price went up OVERNIGHT

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by macbookprose, Feb 26, 2011.

1. macbookprose macrumors newbie

Yesterday I ordered my 15" through the online Apple Store, and it came to $2,589.00 (Canadian) without the tax. I got cold feet and wanted to try it out at the actual store, see the 15" vs. the 17", etc. I finally decided I wanted the 15", and am filling out the order this morning; it now comes to $2,607.00.

Can anyone explain this? Both times I've done the exact same upgrades: to 2.3 ghz, to 8 GB ram, and to high-res antiglare screen. I guess one of these has gone up in price. I think it might be the RAM.

Can anyone explain/answer this? How can they justify making something more expensive overnight?

2. zero85ZEN macrumors regular

Exchange rate change? And really, it's only $18 on an over 2 and a half grand purchase? very, very small increase....

3. macbookprose thread starter macrumors newbie

That's true, but it doesn't make any sense for the price to have raised overnight. Is there precedent for this?

And to get more specific, I just referred to a chat with a friend yesterday and saw that I told him the RAM upgrade was now a more reasonable $180 -- so the RAM upgrade is now $198 today. Everything else is the same.

4. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Looks like the price of the MBP didn't increase them... just the price of RAM
    RAM prices do fluctuate with the market prices

5. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

Yup, I can confirm that the RAM price went up $6 on the Aussie Education store.

Another reason I'm shipping my from OWC.

6. macbookprose thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay, thanks both of you. Yeah, that might have made the small difference in terms of the slight inconvenience of installing it myself—the fact that crucial.com is out of stock for it right now and the fact that I'd rather not be opening up my computer right away was going to stop me from doing that, since the upgrade price had gone down a lot from the cost to upgrade the previous model's RAM.

$18 (in Education store) still seems like a big change to me.

In terms of %, yes, but there are two opposing ways of looking at it. If you're spending a ton of money on something, you want to look for places to not spend a not of money, in order to counter that.

7. d0vr macrumors 6502a

Or if you have to look at every little price, it's possibly out of your means anyway? Has been out of means for many years now and the only reason I can get one now is because it's a gift.

But yes, it's definitely the ram. Same happened to me, I was like um.. sure ok. But I figure, it's 20 bucks. And as you said, saves me opening it. Though I may consider mod'ing it to have two hard drives. Not sure.