MacBook Pro Pricing : Will 2016 be dead?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ge.caroline, Jan 24, 2017.

1. ge.caroline macrumors newbie

Hey there! How are you? A long time PC user here. Finally giving up and looking for a MacBook Pro. Read the 2017 models are coming up at the end of this year.

Current pricing for 15-inch (stock configurations) :
    2016 : 2399$
    2015 : 1999$

The question is,

Future pricing for 15-inch (stock configurations) :

2017 : 2399$
    2016 : 1999$

<<(OR)>>

(Apple removes 2016 edition as it was the case in previous years where incremental updates didn’t coexist. Example: 2012 non-retina MacBook Pro sold even at 2015 instead of 2014, CMIW)

2017 : 2399$
    2015 : ????$

Thank you

2. doitdada, Jan 24, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2017

doitdada macrumors 6502a

doitdada

There has been reports of a decrease in price for the second revision of the current model, but it depends on how well the 2016 MacBook Pro does in the market. The iPhone 7 got discounted before the holiday season, so that may happen to the MacBook Pro when the machine becomes more available. Let's see if there really is a shortage in supply versus demand or if it just Apple trying to make the machine more exclusive by shipping slowly.

2012 was a somewhat a special computer. It still had upgradable memory and a DVD-rom. Now that streaming is mainstream, the need for DVD no longer exists.

3. leman macrumors 604

The historical price for base configuration of the 15" MBP is $1999 (although it briefly dropped to $1799 some time ago). Given the increase in price for components, I would assume that Apple will try to target $2199 price point (or lower) for subsequent updates. The current price is because the new manufacturing process is simply more expensive. The price will likely drop as the process matures.

4. doitdada macrumors 6502a

doitdada

[​IMG]
    Apple also has the highest profits in the PC industry and pretty good sales. The charts below are a bit deceiving. PC makers have a wider range of laptops, and cover more use-cases than Apples offerings.

[​IMG]

5. dsnio macrumors newbie

Really? Was it? So sorry I'm not aware. Was $1999 the price of 2015 MBP 15-inch stock config even before the release of 2016 models?

6. New_Mac_Smell macrumors 65816

New_Mac_Smell

I'd expect it to drop in price but not significantly. The global economy is a little unpredictable at the minute and the days of cheap low margin computers are behind us. The competitors used to target a low price point but even they have been charging 'Apple' money lately for instance.

Another option they have is to offset a price drop with an upgraded system. So newer/faster components at the same price point. Either way, I don't see much of a price difference beyond $150. If you need a new computer just buy one, that same computer will always be cheaper in the future, and that same model will always be faster in the future. So buy when you need it. The only time to avoid is just before an imminent launch as that tends to hurt a lot more.

7. havenyoung macrumors regular

havenyoung

Guys, OP's question really is just "will they keep 2015 15" as base model when 2017 MBP is released"

8. RockstarSR macrumors member

And the answer is who the hell knows??? Seriously.

9. leman macrumors 604

You can look up every Mac model and spec, inclusive original price here: http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/macbook_pro/index-macbookpro.html

Its easy to see that basically every 15" MBP — since the very first one — was $1999. The only exceptions are the models between 2009-2011, which saw some nice price cuts (maybe there are other "anomalies", but if so, I must have missed them).

10. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

The 2017 will replace the 2016, they may well keep the 2015 but that will depend on sales if no one buys it it will disappear as well.

11. sunapple macrumors 65816

sunapple

I believe the 2015 model is still there to compensate for the lack of a cheaper 2016 model without dedicated graphics. So either they make a 2017 model without dGPU, or they somehow manage to make the base model cheaper (would now be the model with 450 graphics). Keeping the 2015 model doesn't seem likely to me.

Just like how they kept the MacBook Air 13" in the lineup, ideally the whole lineup would exist of new models, but at the beginning of a new model's lifecycle it is apparently hard to keep prices down. And you know Apple, they don't give affordability any priority whatsoever.