MacBook Pro Pricing

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Paradigm, Mar 24, 2008.

1. Paradigm macrumors member

Paradigm

Hey everyone:

I've realized that it is worth the $99.00 cost for younger/college aged people to buy a Student Developer package. One is able to purchase one Mac from the Apple Developer Store a discount greater than the Education Store, but you can only purchase one Mac at this discounted price: see below. This will be my first Intel Mac (upgrading from eMac 1Ghz G4) and it's a tricked out 17" Pro. See my screen capture below for my Saved Cart. I'll upgrade to 4Gb RAM myself from OWC (macsales.com). $92.00 compared to $320.00 from Apple.
    Picture 1.png

2. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

You are correct...the student ADC is a good deal if you're planning on buying a high-end machine. Just keep in mind that it's a once-in-a-lifetime discount, so make it count...sounds like you are.

You should at least purchase AppleCare through the regular EDU store, if not a third-party reseller...much cheaper than buying it through ADC.

Also keep in mind that technically speaking, you are only allowed to use the system for Apple software development and you are barred from selling the machine for a period of one year after purchase, but Apple obviously has a hard time policing those restrictions.

3. snapper64 macrumors regular

4. thinkband macrumors regular

20% discount on machine.

anything 2k+ makes it a good deal as you pay $100 for the 20% off coupon.

5. snapper64 macrumors regular

Is that the same for UK ADC Student Membership ?

6. greenythebeast macrumors regular

7. NamisloC macrumors newbie

Could you potentially use the discount multiple times if you had someone else buy it for you, perhaps a family member?

8. Srestrepo macrumors member

the discount is tied to a student account. You must be a student to get the ACD student discount. They ask that you fax yor info to them before you purchase. If maybe you have a brother/sister or cousins you can do it but they need a different address and etc.

And no iphone dont get discounted.

9. greenythebeast macrumors regular

The family member would also have to be a college student.

$99 for a 20% discount is a pretty good deal :)

10. dnenciu macrumors member

Yes it is is just that is not really legal if you read the terms of use.

The machine is to be used for development purposes. That is why they give the discount to encourage developers.

And while you are at it you can get a new one on craigslist or ebay with warranty for less than that.

Or a refurbished one when they come out in a month or two.