Macbook Pro problem

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Xlr, Nov 28, 2010.

1. Xlr macrumors newbie

Hey guys, I'm having a problem with my Macbook Pro (10.5.8)
    Whenever I right click anything and hover my mouse over to "More" it freezes and restarts the Finder. Could anyone help?:(
    Sorry if I posted in the wrong section :eek:

2. Kyffin macrumors 6502

Where is this 'more', is it in a particular application?

3. Xlr thread starter macrumors newbie

It's any application/program/file that I right-click and hover my mouse over to "more" that freezes. It's really frustrating >.<

4. Kyffin macrumors 6502

I can't remember ever seeing a "more" option in the right-click menu so I tried a few different applications/files before posting and am still none the wiser?

Could you give one specific example (I know you said its with any, but it'd help if we were reading off the same page- so to speak) of where you are doing this and where the "more" option appears to cause the crash.

Do you have any extra extensions/plugins added to your system which might give you this "more" option? If you've installed something third-party which 'optimises' your computer this could be responsible.

Also, if you haven't tried it already, it might be worth repairing your permissions in the Disk Utility application- it may not help but its always worth a shot if something is acting up.

5. Kyffin macrumors 6502

Hi, my bad- just realised you are on version 10.5.8 of OS X.

While its still worthwhile having a go with repairing disk permissions your best bet is to update your computer to 10.6.5 which is where its at now.

If its any consolation there does seem to have been a freezing problem back then, maybe you find these useful;

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2111566&start=0&tstart=0
    http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2188955&tstart=0
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=915071

But really you'd be better off updating your system to the point after apple fixed it.

6. Xlr thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry, but I don't really understand what you mean. Updating it to 10.6.5? How do I do that?D:

7. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

Top left Apple logo
    :apple: ... software update

8. Kyffin, Nov 28, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2010

Kyffin macrumors 6502

While we've got the same operating system (Mac OS X, or, if it was Windows it'd be Windows Vista, or Windows 7 &c.) different versions come out over time which fix problems like the one you're having.

The version you have on your computer came out in August 2009 so in the year that has passed Apple has released improvements which will make your computer run better.

'Updating' means getting the newest version which is very straightforward to do. The menu bar at the top of the screen has an :apple: in the top left. If you click on it you should get a menu like in the first picture (if it looks a bit different don't worry- you just need to click on the option which is highlighted)

After you've done this a box comes up which asks for the administrators password (the second picture)- you need to enter this to make any changes to your system. If you've added any programs in the past use the details you used then to do this (it might not be the same as the one you logged in with).

After this the computer will look for the updates and when it finds them you just have to choose the 'install updates' option and then you should be done. Good luck:)

Attached Files:

9. smartalic34 macrumors 6502a

smartalic34

Uh, guys? The OP has 10.5.8, which is Leopard. In order to upgrade to Snow Leopard (10.6), the OP must buy a Snow Leopard upgrade disc for $29. Software update can be used to get up to 10.6.5 once the machine is upgraded to 10.6.

10. Kyffin macrumors 6502