Macbook pro problem

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by charlieb10, Jan 25, 2011.

1. charlieb10 macrumors newbie

Hi

I've had my macbook pro for a little over a year now and its started being really slow especially when I have a few programs running. I'm also getting a lot of the spinning mouse icon when on safari clicking between windows. Also ive realised that I only have 50gb of space left when I've only used 50gb with photo's and music etc, so somewhere 50gb has disappeared.

I'm not sure how to cure this or wether I should get it repaired by apple, does anyone know how much that would cost?

Does anyone know how I can cure this myself?

Thanks

Charlie

2. simsaladimbamba

You can do the maintenance yourself at no cost, unless you are completely illiterate when it comes to computers.

How much RAM do you have installed and have you taken a look at Activity Monitor > System Memory and seen what your PAGE OUTS and PAGE INS are?
    Mac OS X: Reading system memory usage in Activity Monitor

Take a look at DiskInventory X, OmniDiskSweeper, JDisk Report or GrandPerspective to see where your HDD space went to.

Also repairing permissions might help.
    About Disk Utility's Repair Disk Permissions feature

3. orfeas0 macrumors 6502a

4. simsaladimbamba, Jan 25, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2011

simsaladimbamba

JDisk Report does the same and is free.
    Also Disk Inventory X is less than 3MB, ODS is 2.4MB, JDisk is 700KB, GP is 737KB. Daisy Disk is 4MB. I'm talking about the DMGs they come in though.

Btw, it took Daisy Disk 2 minutes to scan a 232GB HDD filled with only 46GB of data. JDisk took 8 minutes to scan 1.135GB of data. Daisy Disk would have taken 50 minutes, theoretically.

5. Blu101 macrumors 6502a

Blu101

Charlie, open Safari, click on "Safari" in the menu bar for the drop down menu, click "empty cache", then click "preferences" (same drop down menu), go to Security tab, click on the cookies button - opens up a window showing all cookies, empty it with the "empty" button, go to databases (same Security tab) and empty that as well. Close Safari and open it again - should speed it up a bit.

Now, use Dashboard for iStat Pro widget to see how much HDD space you have and how much is left. If you don't know what that is, open up Finder and look at your Macintosh HD (highlight it with trackpad). What do you have/see? Anything piling up in your download folder?

What model MBP and how much RAM do you have?