Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

crosseyedbum

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 9, 2013
I have a Western Digital HDD (1 TB, SATA / 32 MB, WD10EADS, 3.5"). A power surge destroyed the My Book power supply system that came with the drive. The drive still works, and is in tact. I have removed the drive from the My Book casing. This is the drive that I have used with my MacBook Pro for years as a data storage and back up. It is formatted in Mac OS Journaled.

I have purchased an Insignia HDD docking station. The drive turns on, spins, and recognizes the drive. My MacBook Pro will recognize the drive but it gives me a dialogue box saying,

"The disk you inserted was not readable by this computer."

It gives me the options to Initialize..., Ignore, or Eject.

I even opened up Disk Utility, and the drive shows up, but it says that the file format is not supported. Again, I have used this for years with this same computer.

Can anyone help me trouble shoot this problem?

Thanks!

matreya

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2009
Can anyone help me trouble shoot this problem?

WD, in their infinite wisdom, deployed encryption on their My Books, so pulling a drive out of it's case and putting it into another case or a dock won't let you get access to the data. You can't even use another my book case because it will have a different encryption key.

I hope you have backups.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Here's one more reason why I always recommend that if you "need an external hard drive" -- buy a "bare drive", an external enclosure, and "build it yourself" ... (sigh)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.