MacBook Pro problems

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Midnight6, Jan 6, 2011.

1. Midnight6, Jan 6, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2011

Midnight6 macrumors newbie

have a 15" specifically A1226 got it from my roommate because it was out of warranty and he doesnt have the money to fix it, also neither he nor i are quite sure what is wrong with it. im fairly savy with computers, i build all my own desktops, and have rebuilt several laptops, but never delt with a mac before.

problem. you power up the machine you do dnot get any sounds "im told it should beep or make some kind of sound" and you get a white screen with the apple logo, unit sits on that screen for a little bit then the apple logo goes away and its just a blank white screen. tried holding the option button and it shows "Macintosh Hard drive" you select that then it will sit there for a second and comes up with the circle with a line through it. and goes to a blank white screen again.

he lost any discs that may have come with the laptop new, and im lost at where to go from here. i know it needs a new battery, and im trying to figure out if its worth fixing or not, any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks Tj

2. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

It's most likely not a hard fix, but I think your going to need the install discs.

3. Midnight6 thread starter macrumors newbie

hmm. great. im sure thats a spendy adventure lol

4. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

Give ebay a shot. Just be sure to buy the right install discs as they are system specific.

5. Midnight6 thread starter macrumors newbie

any way to determine what system i might have?

6. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

Check the serial number. Do you know any of the specs? What year? The A1226 may be useful, not sure though.

7. Midnight6 thread starter macrumors newbie

have the original box, i know its a intel core duo system, have the serial# and part# from the box.

8. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

That might be all the info you need. Again, not sure though. Goodluck with the repair. It sounds like its only a software issue.

9. Midnight6 thread starter macrumors newbie

10. Midnight6 thread starter macrumors newbie

11. MagentoC macrumors newbie

MagentoC

I got this kind of error once...
    but the thing is it was under warranty period so they took my lappy and fixed it quickly. i think you should spend something to get new discs which can easily fix your problem. so, you ultimately need to re install the OS to fix the error because it seems your laptop is going in different mode while booting your system. so, the best thing you can do is buy a new disk and try to reboot your system from the disc and you will surely get rid of your issue.

12. SuperCachetes macrumors 6502a

SuperCachetes

You can be quite sure. ;)

Linky.

13. Midnight6 thread starter macrumors newbie

ok, so my roommate did some cleaning and found the origonal discs. but i cant for the life of me get it to boot from them.

14. Jakedono macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-gb) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

I think it has met it's maker.......gone to the apple store in the sky.

15. Midnight6 thread starter macrumors newbie

yeah im lost on it. when i put the os x install 1 disc in it takes it in hear it spin and do its deal then just ejects it, no matter what i do