Macbook Pro problems

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Katriman, Jan 23, 2011.

1. Katriman macrumors newbie

I recently purchased my MacBook Pro 13", and already it's starting to run a bit slow. Also, I seem to be unable to run Vuze. Often when I open it my computer freezes, and I have to turn it off manually. And sometimes Safari shuts down without no warning. This is getting pretty annoying, and I don't know what to do! It's not a huge problem, but this is not how it should be acting. Also, Sims 3 crashes all the time, so I'm unable to play it. Can any of you help me? :)

Processor: 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    Memory: 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3
    Version: 10.6.6

2. Vantage Point macrumors 65816

One of the first things I do when things seem slow or weird is run "Repair Disk Permissions". In the Applications open Utilities then Disk Utilities then click on the drive and First Aid then run 'repair Disk permissions'

I had some similar problems a while back and called Apple and they had me try that and everything opened and ran like new. It might not work but then again it might and it takes only about 5 minutes to try

3. durruti macrumors regular

durruti

My advice:

Instead of Vuze--->Transmission.
    Instead of Safari--->Google Chrome.

4. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

Vantage Point is dead on the money in saying you should check your disk permissions. Some of mine were out of whack after applying the 10.6.6 update.

Vuze is rubbish. It's written in Java so the performance is poor and it eats RAM like it's going out of fashion. I'd suggest using Transmission instead.

5. Katriman thread starter macrumors newbie

6. Vantage Point macrumors 65816

Did you try repairing permissions? Just curious if that did the trick

7. ethyleneguy2003 macrumors member

A friend with the same machine had similar strange problems (freezing etc) that turned out to be due to a defective hard drive connecting cable, a common problem on this model.