MacBook Pro problems

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Rollan, Mar 20, 2012.

1. Rollan macrumors newbie

Hi!

I am having severe problem with my MBP (A1126). It is out of warranty but has 4GB RAM and was still working well until not long ago.

Start sound comes on, but after that no sound comes. The computer lags constantly with spikes. I can load low graphic pages such as this one, but not for example youtube. When I plug in headphones it switches between internal and headphone output, when removed it stays at headphones.

I put it to be serviced and they asked 2000$ to repair a MPB barely worth 1000$, what is your advice?

Best Regards

Roy

Model Name: MacBook Pro
    Model Identifier: MacBookPro3,1
    Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
    Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz
    Number Of Processors: 1
    Total Number Of Cores: 2
    L2 Cache: 4 MB
    Memory: 4 GB
    Bus Speed: 800 MHz
    Boot ROM Version: MBP31.0070.B07
    SMC Version (system): 1.16f11
    Serial Number (system): W87271M8XAG
    Hardware UUID: 00000000-0000-1000-8000-001B63937BA0
    Sudden Motion Sensor:
    State: Enabled

2. Bending Pixels macrumors 65816

Not knowing who "they" are, if it's going to cost $2,000 to repair it, and you can get a new 15" "base" model with better spec's for less than that, the logical choice would be to get a new one.

That sais, you might want to back up your data, and then try a clean install of the OS and see what happens. It could be something as simple as not enough room on the HD, or something as complex as the logic board going out.

3. Rollan thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi!

Sorry for not being clear, it was Apple Premium Reseller called Macforum in Sweden, www.macforum.se.

I have tried clean reinstallation and I have 15GB free in the HD.

4. grahamnp macrumors 6502a

So same issues after a fresh install? Did you make sure it was a clean install and that you didn't migrate your old settings and files into the new install? Cannot see for sure if it will make any difference but for diagnostics purposes you normally want to be starting on as clean a slate as possible.

$2000 is a ridiculous price for a repair, if that is your only option you may as well buy a brand new one. A different option would be to buy a replacement logic board and make the swap yourself. I can only assume that it is the logic board but it doesn't make sense for it to be anything else.

5. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

15GB free of how much it totally, it could be just your hard drive running to low on space, it could be the hard drive is dying

6. Rollan thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, I did a complete fresh start and migrated nothing. Still the same problems occurred. Buying a new one is my best alternative? The rest of the computer works fine. Would it be hard to do the swap myself?

It is a 160 GB harddrive

7. harlex macrumors member

if after a fresh install you have 15G left on a 160G hdd then you still have a problem.

I don`t know if your HDD is partitioned if so reformat the partition and put the system back on, or delete the partition and reformat the whole disc then put the operating system on.

8. Rollan thread starter macrumors newbie

No, I did not have 15GB after fresh reformat, that was after I added music etc.

9. outz macrumors 6502

Are you able to take it to a different shop and get another estimate? $2k is crazy.

10. seveej macrumors 6502a

seveej

Yes, barely 1000$, I've seen those (in neighboring Finland) for less.

If the logic board is your problem (and I assume it is), then this is the spare part: http://www.ifixit.com/MacBook-Parts/MacBook-Pro-15-Inch-Model-A1226-2-4-GHz-Logic-Board/IF185-100
    There are some places which are usually cheaper, but availability may be a problem.

Then you go to a local forum and ask someone who'll be able to do the installation work for a bottle of whisky.
    Still, it makes very little sense unless you're attached to the machine.