Macbook Pro Processor Advice

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by lindziloo101, Dec 1, 2015.

1. lindziloo101 macrumors newbie

I am in the market for a new laptop. I am a graphic designer, mostly print-based and the bulk of what I work on is in InDesign, Illustrator and Photoshop. I own an iMac but need a notebook as a secondary computer so I can work away from the office. It will also double as my home computer for editing and storing family photos.

I think I've settled on the 13" Macbook Pro with Retina Display but am not sure about technical specs.

I think it is worth upgrading to 16gb of RAM as I often have multiple programs open, and much of what I do is image-heavy. I'm not sure what processor to go with though (will I notice a difference between 2.7, 2.9, 3.1GHz??) any advice would be much appreciated! And storage… $600 to upgrade to 1TB. Not sure if it is worth the cost.

Any opinion on buying refurbished?

Thanks in advance.

2. fisherking macrumors 601

fisherking

refurbished from the apple store is always a good deal, lots of my friends buy there (i point them to it). for what you're doing, any processor should hold it's own. the 16GB ram is a good idea. personally, i went with 512GB ssd; am happy to store additional files (ie old projects, etc) on an external drive (which is much cheaper). i'd bump up the processor before i'd spend $600 to bump up storage (but that's just me). it's a great mac (i got mine last week).

3. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Most people will be fine with 8GB, but if you want to upgrade to 16GB it isn't a bad idea.

Go with the 2.7 or 2.9GHz, the 3.1GHz option isn't worth the $200 upgrade fee.

Only if you need it. I went with the 512GB drive, have a 100GB BootCamp partition and the rest is for OSX.

Given the option, I will always buy refurbished. I use refurb.me to check stock.

https://www.refurb.me/us/