MacBook Pro Protection Plan

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Bruceray, Nov 30, 2013.

1. Bruceray macrumors newbie

Just bought a new Macbook Pro 15 inch....debating if I should return it to for 13 inch 2.4 ghz one. Use it for basic stuff honestly. I didn't buy the apple protection plan, do I honestly need to buy it or no??

Let me know please

2. old-wiz macrumors G3

there are multiple theads on the forum discussing the pros and cons of Applecare. Half the people say you need it and the other half say you don't.

3. prisstratton macrumors 6502

prisstratton

Without a second thought.....buy it. I have not had to use it with my MBP (thankfully), but it has provided great peace of mind.

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

It is really a personal decision. Do you think it is worth paying 20% of the cost of the computer to extend the warranty from one year to three? If so, buy Applecare. There is no right answer here.

5. KevinC867 macrumors 6502a

If you decide to get AppleCare, just don't buy it from Apple for $349. B & H Photo sells the same thing for $244. It's also available on eBay for similar prices.

6. marc55 macrumors 6502a

marc55

Be very careful about eBay; I read a post here awhile back where a guy purchased AppleCare from ebay and it wasn't any good. We know B&H Photo is reputable, so why take a chance on eBay?

One repair makes AppleCare worth buying. I recently used it and had our 20 month old iPad 3 and charger cable replaced.

7. KevinC867 macrumors 6502a

Yeah, with the deal B&H offers there is really no reason to use eBay. Over the years, I have bought AppleCare through eBay several times. I always used a seller with excellent feedback and it has always worked out great. Just something to keep in mind in case the B&H deal goes away.

8. PDFierro macrumors 68040

I think it's worth it. I initially wasn't going to get it, but since I can afford it I figured I would for the peace of mind. You can't really replace any parts of the rMBP on your own, so if one thing goes wrong then you're screwed.

Plus I really like how the warranty is worldwide. But if the extra $200 or so won't hurt you, then definitely do it. You always have a year to purchase it either way.