Macbook Pro Protection

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Theone0581, Jan 25, 2012.

1. Theone0581 macrumors member

Hey guys, I want to buy some sort of protection for the inner part of my macbook pro. I don't know the term for it. Basically something to protect the aluminum from getting scuffed up. So far, the best I have seen available are covers that just protect the palm rest, but not the entire aluminum itself. The closes thing I have found was this: http://www.amazon.com/Twelve-South-...2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1327562947&sr=1-2

The only problem is that the price is a bit steep for me, and I want to make sure I find any other type of product that is similar, but for a more wallet-friendly price. I have found skin available that covers the entire body, but I have had bad experiences with them leaving nasty residue. Do any of you guys have any suggestions as to what might be something looking into. Thanks

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

It doesn't get scuffed up if you're even a little careful with it. Why do you think you need to cover the aluminum with a skin?

3. arctic macrumors 6502a

arctic

IMO I'm against covering the body of the Macs. Leaving it as it is gives it better heat dissipation.

4. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

5. rebelmac macrumors member

In the past I've used Radtech Screen Savrz. It's just a peice of cloth that's thin and covers the whole inner part of the laptop when it's closed. I think it's main purpose is so the oil from your fingers, on the keyboard, don't get transferred to the screen.

I plan on picking one up for my new MBP.

http://www.radtech.us/Products/NotebookScreenSavrz.aspx

6. snaky69 macrumors 603

Since the keyboard doesn't touch the screen when the laptop is close, such a thing is pretty useless.

7. GuitarG20 macrumors 65816

GuitarG20

I always get oil and other various things transferred from my keyboard to my screen when it's closed. Granted, I had more when I had a keyboard cover, but even now, with no cover, there is some transfer.

8. RC85 macrumors member

RC85

This is what I use, it's pretty durable and makes a bold statement, lol.

I haven't noticed any heat changes at all, even at full load.

9. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

looks good, what is that cover?

10. WRP macrumors 6502a

Maybe I just have acid pumping through my veins but the finish gets pitted on the palm rests. My 6 year old powerbook looked like hell before I retired it. My 3 year old MBP is starting to get it to.

11. Theone0581 thread starter macrumors member

Something like that looks good, but will it leave a residue if I want to remove it?

12. saberahul macrumors 68040

I know Moshi has some nice products. Maybe check out their site.

13. RC85 macrumors member

RC85

No, it's 3M Scotchprint® DI-NOC™, which is used in the automotive and interior design field. It uses a specific type of adhesive design to not ruin or peel up automotive paint/clear-coat or ruin delicate surfaces.

----------

it's from an outfit called iCarbons. Nice stuff. I have their iPhone 4S cover and my brother has the Apple TV cover, which is was well engineered as they even cut out the are where the lettering is near input/output ports.

It's wasn't the cheapest, being $50 for the entire kit, but it's unique and durable and does't looks cheap or fake.

14. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

cool, was it easy to put on?

15. RC85, Jan 26, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2012

RC85 macrumors member

RC85

If you follow the companies instructions, some of the other users youtube videos and use common sense it's not too hard. The lid and bottom are the easiest, but the keyboard section takes a little bit a finagling. Since this stuff gets a bit soft with the heat of a hair dryer (no issues with operating heat making it soft btw) you can move the section for the mic and power button to your liking. Just be aware of where the edges meet the keyboard, as well as the side of the computer itself.

Also, since it's thin enough I haven't had any issues with closing the lid. The only con I have is the fact that at $50 it's a bit pricey.

16. Theone0581 thread starter macrumors member

The Carbon skin looks like something I am going to check more into. I really like that I get the option to choose what part of the skin that I want.

17. psykick5 macrumors 6502

18. WRP macrumors 6502a

And here is a picture of my 6 year old powerbook when I retired it. This is strictly from the oils and sweat from my skin using it all day, everyday. And this isn't dirt, this is literally pits in the aluminum. Its actually sunk in where it is dark and rough to the touch.

Attached Files:

19. Rampant.A.I. macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4s: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Except that it also keeps liquids, crumbs, and other debris out of the keyboard, and keeps the keys from developing wear patterns from constant exposure to oil. And if you ever put your laptop in a backpack, it probably will touch the screen.

20. RC85 macrumors member

RC85

I use a piece of card stock 8x11, perfect size to keep the trackpad and keyboard from coming in contact with the screen.

21. Rampant.A.I. macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4s: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Whoops, thought he was talking about a silicone kb protector... Which do the things I listed. The cloth really won't.

22. Alaerian Guest

Alaerian

Whatever you get, PLEASE don't put that carbon fiber crap on it. Just looks awful.

23. east85 macrumors 65816

east85

Looks great, do you have a link to this product?