MacBook Pro Protection

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by AppleBoyFreak, Jul 12, 2012.

1. AppleBoyFreak macrumors 6502

Hello Ladies and Gentlemen, today I am asking my very first question under the MacBook Pro thread. In roughly two months I will be getting my first Mac, the base model 13.3" MacBook Pro, for my 16th birthday and as an Apple fanboy I want to keep it in perfect condition for many years! With that said what is the best case or combination of cases and skins that will keep the MacBook Pro protected, but at the same time show off Apple's hard engineering work? Thank you very much and I am beyond ecstatic to be getting my first Mac! :apple:

2. AlexBass macrumors regular

3. BlazednSleepy macrumors 6502a

Don't get that silicon keyboard cover crap. Get a MOSHI keyboard cover. It's much nicer and MUCH thinner.

4. AlexBass macrumors regular

5. AppleBoyFreak thread starter macrumors 6502

Another quick noob question. If I ever decided to upgrade the ram myself would it void the warranty when I open it up? I know they have this rule for the iPhones, but wasnt sure about the MacBook Pros

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No, it doesn't.

You can find specs on all Apple products, including maximum RAM:

7. Benbikeman macrumors 6502a

Benbikeman

This. Just slip it into a sleeve before putting it in a bag if you want to avoid scratches. The cases and skins just look ugly. (And I also can't see the sense in keyboard covers, the keyboard is lovely to use and doesn't need anything more than one of those mini-vac things to keep clean.)

8. BlazednSleepy macrumors 6502a

Tell that to the people with ugly, greasy, shiny keys.

9. AlexBass macrumors regular

No, opening the macbook pro doesn't void the warranty. Removing and upgrading the RAM yourself doesn't void the warranty either. It's the best low-cost thing you can do to your MBP and is very simple. Use something like this- http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-1333m...id=1342085359&sr=1-2&keywords=Corsair+8gb+ram

Here is a tutorial for it-
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0EFRHdREdqw

----------

I agree, I don't use a keyboard cover. I keep my hands relatively clean when using the keyboard, nothing worse than having a greasy keyboards with bits of food in the gaps. I just brush down the keys and use compressed air to give them the like-new matte finish.

10. AppleBoyFreak thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the help! I'm coming from a very low end acer laptop I got many years ago so anything will be an upgrade. I don't plan on actually opening up the Mac but was just using that as an example. Another question. My birthday falls on the same week as when the iPhone 4s came out last year so if I wait in line early in the morning for the new iPhone at apple can I also buy a MacBook pro or do I have to wait till actual store hours? And the education pricing, how do you get that in store? Thanks very much everyone!

11. Benbikeman macrumors 6502a

Benbikeman

I owned my previous MBP for three years. It was used daily for both business and personal use, so probably 10+ hours a day. No shiny or greasy keys.

12. Slivortal macrumors 6502

There is no "good case". Just get a nice sleeve (I recommend incase), then grab some real insurance (perhaps instead of AppleCare). Problem solved.

13. clairedelune macrumors newbie

totally agree. when i got my mbp last year, had to get a keyboard cover with it :\ greasy/shiny keys just look ugly (i mean it wouldn't be half bad if the whole key was shiny, but it's just that round spot where fingers touch)

14. Benbikeman macrumors 6502a

Benbikeman

Perhaps I just don't have greasy fingers.

But I just hate the idea of turning a beautiful piece of engineering design into something that looks like a Fisher Price toy.

15. BlazednSleepy macrumors 6502a

You obviously have never seen the moshi clearguard on a keyboard then.

16. Benbikeman macrumors 6502a

Benbikeman

I've not only seen one, I've typed on a keyboard with one fitted - eeww!