Macbook Pro Protection

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by anthdan, Apr 17, 2010.

1. anthdan macrumors newbie

I will be purchasing a Macbook Pro 13" and am considering the Moshi keyboard protector, Invisible Shield full body coverage, and a padded sleeve. I have the Invisible Shield on my son's Ipod and it works great. Thoughts?

Thanks

2. Eclipseon macrumors newbie

Actually, I currently have the InvisibleShield (full-body) and Moshi Keyboard Protector on my Macbook Pro :D I am using an Incase padded sleeve so that I can put my Macbook Pro in my backpack for traveling to an from classes. Truly, I have had no problems so far and my computer still looks pristine after close to one year of use! *knocks on wood*

3. choco macrumors member

choco

sleeves are awesome!

never used an invisible shield though.

4. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

5. FMD:. macrumors member

I recommend getting a neoprene sleeve, and a Radtech screensavRz. Its a microfiber cloth that fits over your keyboard when you close your laptop so the keys do not rub up against the screen and you do not have wear marks where the keys press up against the screen when closed.

You can pick the screensavRz up on the Bay for 17 dollars shipped.

6. eliminator macrumors newbie

7. breathesrain macrumors regular

I know the iBooks had that problem, but I thought it was better on newer laptops- the keyboards are slightly recessed.

8. markp9114 macrumors member

yeah anyone else have to comment on the cloth over keyboard thing? I haven't heard of any complaints about the keyboard touching the screen. I have an antiglare screen so would you suggest this cover to prevent oils and such touching the screen?

9. C64 macrumors 65816

C64

I bought an Incase sleeve over 3 years ago with my 13" MacBook. I use it daily, and it still looks brand new. Very high quality, and I never worry about anything happing to my MacBook when it's in my bag. Read on their site that they even have better ones now.

I don't use anything else. I clean the MacBook case, keyboard and screen regularly, so it still looks great. I don't want cases or covers or whatever covering up the great design. As long as you're careful with it it'll be fine.

10. bluskale macrumors regular

I've used full-body protectors from bestskinsever, on an ipod and macbook pro, and they've worked quite well. They're generally a bit cheaper too.

11. markp9114 macrumors member

Does anyone think a port protector is necessary? Like this: http://www.radtech.us/Products/Portectorz.aspx for the MBP?

My first MBP is arriving and I do not want it to get ruined! I already feel super overprotective and its not even here yet:eek: However, I keep seeing all these accessories everywhere and it makes me want to buy them. Someone stop me from my impulsive buying and convince me that all these things are not necessary!

So far I have ordered: A timbuk2 laptop messenger bag with a built in padded sleve. Invisible shield. and a keyboard cover. Am I safe?

12. Hellishness macrumors 65816

Hellishness

only if you use it on the beach with sand blowing around...but i'd worry about the keyboard too...

13. markp9114 macrumors member

unfortunately I don't live next to a beach! haha but I was more concerned about normal everyday dust building up in the ports over time

14. FMD:. macrumors member

I had one for my Early 08 MBP 2.4 because the keys do stick up a little. I have noticed that the keys on these are definitely recessed a bit. I think its all around nice for the oils and cleaning the screen. It is microfiber so it is super soft and does clean very well.

The part I am talking about that rubs sometime is right where the lip of the keyboard meets the trackpad. that is the only problem i have had recently with my 2.4 which is why its getting a new screen in a few days. Its better to be safe then sorry. Would really suck if you just got your brand new MBP and then when you stick it in with a neoprene case and a couple books it getts a little snug and pushes on the screen creating a mark on that nice hi res matte screen.

15. markp9114 macrumors member

you've convinced me. I just bought the screen protector and port protector just in case for $36. Extremely overpriced for a thin piece of cloth and some silicone... ughhhh im broke now :(

16. AppleDNA macrumors newbie

I've had my mid-2006 MBP since it was new, and I've never had any problems with dusty/dirty ports. That product looks like just another way to pry money out of paranoid people (no offense ;)).

17. FMD:. macrumors member

Dude, the cloth is a good buy...the port protector i think you should cancel. I have never heard of dirty ports. I have never used one, and I have owned 2 Macbook Pros and a Macbook never having any problem with my ports.

The cloth will save you especially if you do get a mark on your screen and you bring it into the Apple store, you show them that you have protected the screen when closed and they will replace the screen no questions asked in the year warranty or your extended 2 year warranty.

18. Herrow macrumors regular

I am getting key imprints on my Unibody MBP...now use a Shaggymac screen protector, which is almost identical to the Radtech.

19. Sossity macrumors 6502a

what about the original thin foam peice that comes with the macbook pro? at least my macbook pro I just bought had a thin peice of foam between the keyboard & the screen.