MacBook Pro PSU

Wildblood

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 5, 2012
Does MacBook Pro need the power supply unit to perform better with 3D graphics like other gaming laptops?

I mean I had a MSI gaming laptop sometime in the past and unless I had it plugged in, there was no fps for me. All games looked like a slide show.

I was wondering if this is the case with MacBooks too...

Last edited:

simonsi

macrumors 601
Jan 3, 2014
Auckland
As far as I am aware the reverse is true, a battery MUST be installed and working for full processor power, the necessary power cannot be provided by the charger alone. But you will get full power running from the battery.

Wildblood

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 5, 2012
As far as I am aware the reverse is true, a battery MUST be installed and working for full processor power, the necessary power cannot be provided by the charger alone. But you will get full power running from the battery.
Ok thanks, and btw I meant changer when I wrote psu but you understood it already:)

leman

macrumors G3
Oct 14, 2008
Perfect, thanks. I guess it's just gaming laptops then..
An average gaming laptop has a ridiculously small battery given how energy-hungry its hardware is. This is why the driver usually throttles the GPU down to extreme levels when its not plugged in, so that you don't run out of juice in 20 min. A Mac certainly can't compete with a proper gaming laptop, because its a tool designed with a different purpose in mind.