MacBook Pro PSU

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Wildblood, Oct 18, 2016.

1. Wildblood, Oct 18, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2016

Wildblood macrumors newbie

Does MacBook Pro need the power supply unit to perform better with 3D graphics like other gaming laptops?

I mean I had a MSI gaming laptop sometime in the past and unless I had it plugged in, there was no fps for me. All games looked like a slide show.

I was wondering if this is the case with MacBooks too...

2. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

As far as I am aware the reverse is true, a battery MUST be installed and working for full processor power, the necessary power cannot be provided by the charger alone. But you will get full power running from the battery.

3. Wildblood thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok thanks, and btw I meant changer when I wrote psu but you understood it already:)

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I never noticed any performance difference when the MBP was plugged in vs on the battery.

5. Wildblood thread starter macrumors newbie

Perfect, thanks. I guess it's just gaming laptops then..

6. leman macrumors 604

An average gaming laptop has a ridiculously small battery given how energy-hungry its hardware is. This is why the driver usually throttles the GPU down to extreme levels when its not plugged in, so that you don't run out of juice in 20 min. A Mac certainly can't compete with a proper gaming laptop, because its a tool designed with a different purpose in mind.

7. hamiltonDSi macrumors 68000

hamiltonDSi

8. Wildblood thread starter macrumors newbie

Really? So you mean the changer still impacts the performance but on a less noticeable level?

9. hamiltonDSi macrumors 68000

hamiltonDSi

Yes.
    All of my Macs we're portable since 2008, i've noticed the hit from time to time