MacBook Pro (purchase now) "or" MacBook Pro w. Retina Display (wait)?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by davidhunternyc, Dec 26, 2011.

  1. davidhunternyc macrumors member

    Joined:
    Dec 26, 2011
    #1
    This is my second post on MacRumors. I have been reading about the supposed release of new MacBooks using "retina" displays for a few months now. I have my own photography business (bigapplephototours.com) and I am looking to upgrade my computer system from my humble 13" MacBook Pro. Editing photos in Photoshop and designing albums on such a small screen is just tedious and time consuming. I am looking to upgrade to a much larger Thunderbolt enabled 17" MacBook Pro with an external Thunderbolt display. The question I just can't answer is should I spring for this system now or wait until the next evolution of MacBook Pros come out? I do believe that higher pixel density screens will help immensely with photo editing and I will be able to design 24" wide photo albums on a 27" Thunderbolt display while, at the same time, keeping all the Photoshop and Album Design menus and icons on the laptop. Any advice? Thanks.
     
  2. Liquinn Suspended

    Joined:
    Apr 10, 2011
    #2
    From what I understand, you'd be best off waiting. That's what I'm doing.

    What happens if me and you wait and there's no retina screen? That would kinda suck.

    I want to buy one now but I'm scared about the rumors will come true about the retina screen.

    I'm waiting and I know it is what I want, truely deep down.

    What would you regret more? Waiting and finding out there's no retina screen or there is, or buying now to find a MBP comes out in 4-5 months with the retina screen? As it's such a big purchase money wise, that's why I'm waiting and I suggest you do the same.

    I hope I helped. :)
     
  3. davidhunternyc thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Dec 26, 2011
    #3
    Thanks, Liquinn. It looks as if you and I are in the same boat. Now, I just have to figure out if I want the glossy or matte screen? This is the second issue that is going to kill me.
     
  4. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

    dontwalkhand

    Joined:
    Jul 5, 2007
    Location:
    Phoenix, AZ
    #4
    This depends, do you need a new computer now? Or is it something that can wait? For me, my old Black MacBook was dying a slow horrible death, and the screen had issues, so in order for me to keep my business going, I needed to get a new computer right away, so I off I got the 13" MacBook Pro.

    But if it isn't a priority to get yourself a new computer, I would wait to see if there are any new MacBook pros.

    But upon reading your post, I think that just upgrading to a Thunderbolt Display plus your current MacBook Pro would be most ideal. And that way if you decide to get a new MacBook Pro in the future, it is not like the current display won't work with it or anything.
     
  5. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

    Krazy Bill

    Joined:
    Dec 21, 2011
    #5
    I'd certainly wait. The MBP refresh is always just around the corner.
     
  6. chrf097 macrumors 68040

    chrf097

    Joined:
    Dec 16, 2011
    #6
    Get a 15 or 17 inch and choose High Resolution Display.


    TA-DA, your Retina display Macbook Pro is ready!
     
  7. davidhunternyc thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Dec 26, 2011
    #7
    Unfortunately, my current MacBook, which is only a year old, is not Thunderbolt enabled. Yes, I would've just kept my MacBook and purchased a Thunderbolt display if my computer had the Thunderbolt connection.
     
  8. VMMan macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Mar 29, 2009
    #8
    Use an external LCD with your current MBP 13" for now. Alternatively, buy a refurbished early 2011 MBP 17" which will be an incredible jump up now, regardless of how great the future MBPs may be.
     
  9. thundersteele macrumors 68030

    Joined:
    Oct 19, 2011
    Location:
    Switzerland
    #9
    Maybe I'm just confused here, but if you plan to use an external display, there's no reason to wait for the next model.

    I doubt there will be retina displays in the next MBP. Remember that the first rumors of a retina iPad came in late 2010, and it's still not available.

    Samsung or whoever else is involved my well be able to make 15'' and 17'' retinas, but I think it is unlikely that they can already mass produce them.
     
  10. stevemiller macrumors 65832

    Joined:
    Oct 27, 2008
    #10
    unless your needs are critical, i'd say the "funner" choice at this point is to wait, enjoy the speculation roller coaster and know that regardless of whether all the "dream" features come to pass, there'll be a nice new laptop waiting for you sometime in the next six months.

    the only caveat is to make sure there's nothing you'd potentially miss should it change from the current offering ie. optical drives, specific ports, etc.
     
  11. kingnimrod macrumors member

    Joined:
    Feb 24, 2004
    #11
    go ahead and wait - that will make the refresh take even longer to come out.

    If you own a small business, it's worth it to buy before the end of the year and take the 100% write-off for business equipment.
     
  12. theSeb macrumors 604

    theSeb

    Joined:
    Aug 10, 2010
    Location:
    Poole, England
    #12
    I wouldn't get too excited about unconfirmed features like "retina display".
     
  13. snazzyiphoneguy macrumors member

    Joined:
    Dec 21, 2011
  14. jeffgtr macrumors regular

    Joined:
    May 9, 2005
    #14
    Not to mention possible thunderbolt improvements

    I'm in the same boat. I have an early 2008 4 core xeon mac pro and have been reading about the improvements when using Logic with the new quad core I7 macbook pro's. It would be great to be able to take my "studio" to band practice, to be able to consolidate all of my web design and development projects into one machine. The quad core I7 is the first that I've felt comfortable with as a desktop replacement. Plus the new macbook pro's with an I7 can actually support 16gb of ram.

    The only thing that holds me back from pulling the trigger is that there might be improvements with thunderbolt that would allow me to run dual displays (I know you can do this w/ 2 thunderbolt displays..however I have 2 good monitors...and I know about the matrox solution.

    I'm not sure of the benefits of the retina display..maybe I'm missing something here.

    Wait a long time? Don't they refresh or introduce new macbook pro's around the time of Macworld, which is end of January?
     
  15. Hallicalli macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jul 23, 2012
    #15
    Hi all,
    I hope sou waited for the retina mbp!
    It took 6 months and it really was worth waiting, dont you think?
    apple rumours are often true if they aint super silly or un-apple-like.
    It was clear they bring the retina model within a year and a half!
    Im waiting for my mbpr and i cant stop thinking about it:)

    ----------

    How did you know all that exact stuff about it. Crazy, you must be working for apple;)
     

Share This Page