Macbook Pro purchase question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by pricklypete, Jun 18, 2009.

1. pricklypete macrumors newbie

I'm thinking about buying a MacBook Pro (15.4" 2.4 GHz 4GB RAM MB470LL/A) for $1,175. It has been dropped and "sporadically freezes" but is otherwise just fine. I'm thinking this could be a good deal because:

1) It still has Apple Care warranty, so they should be able to service it, right?
    2) The most likely cause of the freezing would be the hard drive? If so, I already have a replacement I can use in it.
    3) It might just need a OS reinstall?

Thoughts? Thanks!

2. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

You're thinking about buying a computer that "sporadically freezes" for any amount of money?

If it still has AppleCare, have the current owner get it fixed before you buy it. There might be a reason it isn't fixed yet. I'm not sure AppleCare covers being dropped.

3. pricklypete thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the response. The seller says: "my local Apple put it through a 'battery' of tests. The result was that they could not 'determine' what was actually wrong with the unit"

That makes me believe that there might not be a hardwear problem even, maybe an OS restore would fix this. OR a new hard drive which I already have.

4. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

like tomorrow said make sure that the computer is fully functional before you buy. you just dont need the headache.