Macbook Pro Purchase Therapy Please

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tangerinedress, Jun 5, 2009.

  1. tangerinedress macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Apr 18, 2009
    #1
    Hello People ~

    So I guess I am just going to go ahead and do it this weekend, buy the 15.4" Macbook Pro. But I need some last minute hand-holding or discouragement if necessary. For me this is a huge expensive purchase and meant to last 4-5 years.

    After 2months of computer hell, my iBook's HD dies, borrowing a friend's old Powerbook, paying for a new HD only for the computer to overheat... Such a bummer... I was holding out thinking the next Pro in a few months will have something wonderful I will want, a program or hopefully a matte screen!??

    Thoughts? They buyer's guide says to wait if you can, but I guess I have no more choices so.....

    THANX
     
  2. kindablue09 macrumors regular

    kindablue09

    Joined:
    Mar 26, 2009
    #2
    I recommend this only b/c you stated that you've been using an ibook...

    Why buy the macbook pro? You could buy the unibody macbook or even the whitebook (which outperforms the entry level unibody macbook) for a significantly cheaper price. If you want a bigger screen, I'd go for an external monitor. The way I see it, is that it is kind of a waste to pay so much for a computer if you won't be using the power you are paying for.

    thats my 2¢ :)
     
  3. Scepticalscribe Contributor

    Scepticalscribe

    Joined:
    Jul 29, 2008
    Location:
    The Far Horizon
    #3
    Wait at least a few days until after the WWDC; I very much doubt that MBPs, or indeed, any Mac will be updated, but one never knows. You will kick yourself if you bought a computer this week-end, and a refresh takes place next week.

    Having said all that, I think the MBP is a terrific computer and you'll be very happy with it. I have one myself and it is easily the best computer I have ever owned.

    Cheers and good luck
     
  4. mrrippey macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Apr 7, 2009
    #4
    same boat

    but I am using my wife's late 2006 white macbook.

    I am still debating between Air or uMB but I am going to wait until next week to see what I am going to do.
     
  5. Cavanboy18 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    May 29, 2009
    #5
    they already have a matte screen. 50$ extra. all thats coming out is slight upgrades to the processor nothing major it has been confirmed. ide try and scrounge togethor 800$ and get the 17. or do you know any 1 in college u can get a discount.
     
  6. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

    mikes70mustang

    Joined:
    Nov 14, 2008
    Location:
    US
    #6
    So im guessing you havent been reading the tons of threads about weather or not to buy before the 8th? If anything new is coming out it will be then I assume. Read through the threads about "should i wait" and stuff like that.
     
  7. tangerinedress thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Apr 18, 2009
    #7
    Great advice, thanks!

    as for after the WW..., when are the new ones released, september or october? not that I can wait for that really...

    re: the macbook, agreed, they are a fine choice! but i am a musician running a lot of different programs on pro tools and such, which would probably rock the macbook fine with extra ram, but was thinking an upgrade could possibly be inspiring... at the moment i just feel :confused::eek::, and a bit bummed at apple for not making me the perfect choice when i gotsa buy. (ie: want matte)
     
  8. tangerinedress thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Apr 18, 2009
    #8
    PS ~ I do like the matte 17" but seems a little challenging for portability no? i travel a lot and record at people's house and hotel rooms...

    it's only $50 more for matte? not on the 15" tho right? sorry, agreed, i can use this to do more research on the when to buy... it's just been ultra challenging for my music not having this settled.

    thanks!
     
  9. winninganthem macrumors 6502a

    winninganthem

    Joined:
    Jun 10, 2008
    #9
    Wait until the WWDC announcement on Monday. It's probably going to be an iPhone centered event, but wait.
     
  10. maflynn Moderator

    maflynn

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    May 3, 2009
    Location:
    Boston
    #10
    I wouldn't dismiss the MB quite so readily. Performance between the two for the majority of tasks will be nearly identical. The major difference is that the MBP has a dual GPU, which you may or may nor take advantage and in the inclusion of FW.

    If those two items are not requirements for you, take another look at the MB. I own the 2.53MBP and I think its an awesome computer but I was seriously debating between that and the MB. The dual GPU won me over because I use Aperture and that does need a beefy GPU.
     
  11. barkomatic macrumors 68040

    Joined:
    Aug 8, 2008
    Location:
    Manhattan
    #11
    I think you should get the macbook pro--but I think you should wait for the overdue update. It probably won't happen at WWDC, but it has to happen fairly soon.

    If you can keep borrowing your friends Powerbook great. However, if he needs it back and you're left with no computer you'll have no choice I guess.
     
  12. apersianboyCOM macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Dec 28, 2008
    Location:
    London, UK
    #12
    I think you should wait another week because WWDC is coming soon and I'm sure you'd kick yourself if there were any adjustments to the system or if the new Snow Leopard comes out.
     
  13. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

    ViciousShadow21

    Joined:
    Mar 11, 2009
    Location:
    To your left or right
    #13
    i do a lot of audio editing with pro tools and i could not run it smoothly on the uMB or the white book. so if you are a heavy pro tools user i would say the MBP is essential.
     
  14. tangerinedress thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Apr 18, 2009
    #14
    Snow Leopard & Protools/ Next MBP update?

    Thanks everyone for the very helpful advice!

    So, if the next MBP update will probably not happen after next week's conference, anyone have an idea when? sept? oct?

    also, will snow leopard be compatible with protools for immediate use?

    and, if anyone happens to have an opinion about 17" and portability, you can say, but i can see already it would be a little less feasible...

    cheers!
     
  15. Apple Corps macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Apr 26, 2003
    Location:
    California
    #15
    You will know more in 3 days - much better than all the speculating.

    Suggest you use the search function re: the 17" size/portability issue - many many many posts & opinions on that.
     
  16. Scepticalscribe Contributor

    Scepticalscribe

    Joined:
    Jul 29, 2008
    Location:
    The Far Horizon
    #16
    At the risk of repeating myself, firstly, I would be astonished if any changes of any nature occure this coming week to Apple's computer family; as other posters (and outside speculation) suggest, expect this to be an event focussing on the iPhone.

    Secondly, upgrades/updates tend to happen in latish September - maybe October, and also in January/Feb. Wait until then - in order to see what is available - unless you really need a computer in the meantime.

    Thirdly, I personally feel that the 15" is a lot better by way of optimising the power/portability trade off. For me, the 17" is a desktop that you can carry with you, but I would not view it as exceptionally portable. Hope this has helped with your queries to some extent.

    Cheers and good luck
     
  17. capriseyhaze macrumors regular

    capriseyhaze

    Joined:
    Mar 3, 2009
    Location:
    florida
    #17
    If your a heavy protools user i would say get the 17". I use protools on a 24" imac and when i set it up on a 17" was quite small compared to my imac. So i couldent imagine it on a 15". Its hard to edit tracks on such a small screen. Its alot of scrolling around on the page, wich is a pain in the neck when your trying to get something done in a timely manner. Go with the 17" you will not regrete it. And fu$@ waiting for wwdc if you need iy now get. Nothing is going to change anyway. Its still going to be the same machine regardless.
     
  18. sehnsucht77 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Dec 26, 2008
    #18
    :confused: you either want or need the laptop. get what is in your budget or whatever you think is "cool." don't see the point for handholding or discouragement from random people on a forum...
     

Share This Page