Macbook Pro Purchased last week, Trade for new one at Apple?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Gator24765, Jun 12, 2012.

1. Gator24765 macrumors 6502a

Gator24765

Okay everyone, strange situation. I have heard from the past that if you bought an Apple product and within 14 days a newer generation came out you can exchange it correct?

Well here is the deal, this guy on craigslist is selling a Macbook Pro with receipt dated to last week. He said his wife bought it for him but he would rather have the cash instead. I asked why he just didn't return it and he said he just wanted the cash. Kinda sketchy, considering he will be taking like a $300 hit.

With that being said, If I check out the computer and everything looks good and matches with the receipt would I be able to take it into the Apple store and request and exchange? They said it was purchased on Apple Online Store. Or would it have to be the original person?

I have talked the guy down to $950 and can prolly get him down to $900.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Very sketchy. I wouldn't risk it. If he returns it, he'll get cash.... all of it. There's no sensible reason not to return it that I can think of, unless it's a stolen machine.

3. mohsy90 macrumors 65816

mohsy90

Sounds extremely sketchy, I would definitely check the receipt and make sure it's not some kind of final sale purchase with no returns. Either that or its stolen. I would confirm everything before you buy it.

I don't think it has to be the original person. I did it once when i purchased my MBP 2 days before the update and they just swapped it out. Never asked me for ID.

4. Defactomonkey, Jun 12, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2012

Defactomonkey macrumors member

Probably bought with a stolen credit card buyer beware also with serialized items you don't need a receipt to return they won't refund money though only CC refund unless he paid cash then they'll mail a check. You can return it for a gift card though. If he gives you the serial you can check it on apple's website for purchase date it will also let you know if they bought it through apple and if it can be returned

5. mohsy90 macrumors 65816

mohsy90

Also, i'm not sure if Apple does a straight out exchange. If he bought it on a card, then they'll likely refund the previous purchase and then have you repurchase it.

6. Gator24765 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Gator24765

I agree, I am very cautious when it comes to stuff like this. But if he says he has the receipt and everything matches up it might be worth it to check it out.

I will ask him again why not just return it for a full refund.

But for $900 it is still a great price for a week old Macbook Book Pro so even if they won't exchange I can handle it.

Anyone else exchanged due to a refresh, did they refund one purchase and make you purchase the other?

7. edk99 macrumors 6502a

Exactly. They refund you the price of the machine you are returning back to the ORIGINAL card used for purchase then charge you for the new machine. Which in the end you end up paying or getting a credit for the price difference.

Walk away. HE did not purchase this on HIS credit card or it is stolen so that is why he wants the cash. There is no other reason why he would not just return it and get his money put back on his credit card.

8. Gator24765 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Gator24765

Good advice.

9. iPhone Addict macrumors 6502

Because of the deal potential, I'd say definitely check it out. Just do it in a very public place and if possible have a friend go with you. Your friend can stand some distance away or be at a different table and he'll be the one carrying the cash.

Also, meeting at your bank is a good way to do this. Check out the product to your satisfaction, then go inside and make the withdrawal to pay him with.

10. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

11. mohsy90 macrumors 65816

mohsy90

Scratch that. If it all looks good and if the guy purchased it on a card. Have apple refund it and put it on a store gift card. And then just use that to purchase the new MBP. I forgot that I did this once when I ordered a 21" iMac online but decided to take it in and upgrade to the 27" iMac instead

12. latestmonkey macrumors 6502

if it's too good to be true...

you are asking for trouble. let us know how this scam...er.. story ends.

13. aristobrat macrumors G5

That was the procedure when I worked there.

You do a return (refund) for the original purchase, and then sell them the new one. You can do it all on one multi-step transaction. If there's a difference in price that's lower, it goes back to the card originally used to make the purchase. If the difference in price is more, then they could pay with any method.

However, it can be done is two separate transactions. A full refund (which would put the money back on the other dudes card), and then a regular sale. That would screw you. So be sure they do it on ONE transaction.

But still, I'd be worried that even with a receipt, if that MBP was purchased with a card that turned out to be stolen, and that transaction was marked by Apple ... if you try to do anything with it, what is Apple within their rights to do?

14. Gator24765 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Gator24765

great advice everyone.

I use Craiglist quite often so I always meet in public places and do everything else necessary.

This screams straight scam though. Who in their right mind will take such a hit when they have a receipt.

I won't even bother if the original purchase gets put back onto the card, but if Apple can put it onto a giftcard that would be ideal considering I could buy and use my education discount and get the free gift card.

15. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

Walk away this deal makes no sense, he could simply return the machine to any Apple store for a full refund; think stolen card, think bag and receipt snatched. If in general something looks too good to be true, it is. If this was a family member looking to help it would be plausible, a complete stranger I would think again...

At best you may be compounding theft and or credit card fraud, at worse you may find yourself in an uncomfortable situation with someone less than honest, $900 for a brand new MBP, just think about it....

16. Gator24765 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Gator24765

Agreed, this guy seems sketchy.

I have come across some pretty too good to be true items on craigslist that have worked out great for me sometimes.

17. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

Nice morals, you know it stinks, you are aware someone may well have personally suffered, however if you can make good all is well with you. What Goes Around Comes Around - with any luck you will go ahead and get caught out and deserve what you get...........

18. Gator24765 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Gator24765

Morals? I never said that I supported the stealing of anything. We don't know that this is a stolen machine.

Get caught what? Stop assuming.

I simply said it would be ideal to get a gift card and not a refund to the card.. thus the reason I started this thread, to see what apple's policies were and this was before all of this computer might be stolen talk.. So don't talk to me about my morals.

19. Queen6, Jun 12, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2012

Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

It is what it is; as you say it screams scam and someone always looses, you are not interested in the deal if the original card holder is refunded, however if Apple is willing to give you a gift card, which will be 100% price your good, yet the deal is highly suspicious.

The guy is either completely stupid, the Mac is Red Hot, or he is looking to pass you a box of rocks for your $900 with the help of several others. Think about what you are potentially condoning, if more people questioned these type of deals there would be less of them and less victims. Equally the deal may be up front and honest, although from my experience and the forums response unlikely.

If you need to clarify Apple`s policies on such matters simply call them, I am sure they will be more than willing to help...