MacBook Pro Question PLEASE HELP!!!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Macdude2010, Jul 31, 2012.

1. Macdude2010, Jul 31, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2012

Macdude2010 macrumors 65816

Macdude2010

Hello Macrumors,

I have a question about a purchase this weekend. I currently own a 3 year old 13 inch MacBook Pro (2.26GHz C2D, 8GB RAM, 250GB 5400RPM HDD, nVidia GeForce 9400M 256MB Shared.) I use a lot of heavy applications such as Final Cut X, Motion 5, Aperture 3, Adobe CS6 (entire suite such as photoshop and after effects.) and for the past few months, the apps are starting to stutter and crash on me (when i bought this computer I had no idea I would be using all of this stuff.) Last week my hard drive failed, and I put a replacement in and did a clean install, everything does seem to run a little faster right now, but i am afraid its going to slow down soon due to data pileup. Now, I have been waiting for the redesign of the MacBook Pro for almost a year now (almost pulled the trigger last year tax free weekend) now that the redesign is out, and tax free weekend is this weekend for me (plus the EDU discount), I am starting to have second thoughts, and recently I have been thinking I can squeeze one more year out of it (even though it still crashes) But on the other side of things, I am expecting my workload to get MUCH heavier this year (increasing crashes), so I am torn, buy the Retina MacBook Pro now and use it for 4 years (hoping for it to preform a little better then my current one is right now) or use my current one for one more year totaling 4 years using the Core 2 Duo and the nVidia GeForce 9400M (I also want to know what is slowing this down so much) and then use the 2nd generation macbook pro for 3 years.

2. Nuc macrumors 6502a

Nuc

Based on your situation I would get the rMBP during the tax free weekend. I would do the same but TN only goes to $1500 on computers. I'll be upgrading my computer here shortly to the 2.6/16/512 rMBP. You won't regret it the computer is awesome and don't let others try to talk you out of it.

3. Macdude2010 thread starter macrumors 65816

Macdude2010

so you think that a 2.7/16GB/768GB will get me through fine for 4 years (much better then my current 2.26/8GB/250GB for 3 years?) also, could you answer my other questions?

4. jonfarr macrumors 6502a

jonfarr

I dont think you need a 2.7, I went with the 2.6/16/768. Save yourself the $$$ unless you really think the .1GHz will make the difference.

I left my 3 year old mbp, mid 2009, for this one and plan on getting 3-4 years minimum out of it. Those specs should hold up just fine. Obviously there will be better machines coming out the next 3-4 years, but so goes the tech world.

5. stevelam macrumors 65816

are you working with an external monitor? because the entire adobe software lineup looks like crap on the RMBP and it'll be a long time before they're updated.

6. dmccloud macrumors 6502a

dmccloud

So Tennessee doesn't waive sales tax on the first $1500 if you purchase a laptop that's over $1500? That kinda sucks...

----------

Ignore him - Adobe is already working on updates, and are targeting September as the release date. All he (stevelam) does is butt into threads, make that claim, then disappear once anyone provides refutation of his baseless claims.

7. Macdude2010, Aug 1, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2012

Macdude2010 thread starter macrumors 65816

Macdude2010

It's not the .1 GHz im looking for, it's the extra 2MB of cache, and would it be worth trying to squeeze 1 more year out of my old one?

Also the maxed out rMBP is in stock at the store for tax free weekend, and with the EDU discount the total is $3454

8. jonfarr macrumors 6502a

jonfarr

Thats why it is nice to live in Oregon. No sales tax.