MacBook Pro Question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by karboN.6, Oct 26, 2010.

1. karboN.6 macrumors regular

I'm new to this website but recently i've had the erge to purchase a MacBook Pro 13 inch laptop because i know macs are great computers for college students which i am, and i also like apple products since i own the iphone 3gs, and 2 nanos i feel their products are so technologically advanced they're ahead of their time. But anyways i'm coming onto this forum to ask if anyone would recommend me purchasing a 13" Macbook Pro soon or should i wait until the holiday season incase they release a newer version of the macbook because i saw that the cycle is nearing the end and i dont want to purchase it when they come out with a brand new one, that would just piss me off to no extent because of the price, but i do have a perfectly working Sony Vaio which is not even a year old but i want a change and i want to proudly say i'm a mac owner and i feel this computer will last me for many years to come. I would greatly appreciate any response and answer. Thank you very much-- KarboN.6

2. tjb1 macrumors 68000

If you read the 100 other threads you will soon find out no one here works for Apple and no one knows when one is coming out. If you need it, buy it.

3. karboN.6 thread starter macrumors regular

Which i did and i didnt ask for someone who works for apple.... i was just asking for thoughts on whether or not it was worth it.. but thank you for your great response it will be thought of and soon forgotten :D

4. guitargoddsjm macrumors 6502

5. Ann P macrumors 68020

If you really need it NOW, get it NOW. If not, you can try holding off until next year to take advantage of the Back to School Promo and refresh.

6. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

you will be waiting until Feb-Mar at least ... and my guess is they will have a really tiny SSD - and no DVD drive.

7. karboN.6 thread starter macrumors regular

I'm majoring in Business Administration and im probably going to double major with Business Administration and Business Finance. I have this Sony Vaio laptop right now which works well but i want to try out the macbooks since they're really good computers, and im mostly going to be using it for normal college uses such as programs like Microsoft office and i also just want to try something new, and i also hear that the new macbook airs are like more powerful ipads and i dont want to spend the money on something more expensive that does less, and i also dont care about the weight difference or size difference.

8. applepearpp macrumors regular

a macbook air should be quite enough for you if you're not doing much intense gaming. you can get the low end 13" and get the 4 gb ram version and you'll be happy to go.

9. karboN.6 thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah but the hard drive space isnt as much as i want likewise for the Macbook theres a hard drive with 250gb and thats perfect for me

10. LocoStrange macrumors member

100 threads? Dot exaggerate...its like 100 threads a day regarding "should I buy or wait"

11. tjb1 macrumors 68000

Yes and each one clearly says Q1 of 2011, but he read that...

12. karboN.6 thread starter macrumors regular

Yea but what will the new features possibly be

13. tjb1 macrumors 68000

Once again, no one works for apple so all you are going to get is crap speculation.

Sandy Bridge, USB 3.0...thats about it if you're lucky

14. karboN.6 thread starter macrumors regular

Yea i've been hearing about that now what is Sandy Bridge and whats the difference between usb 2.0 and 3.0?

15. tjb1 macrumors 68000

Sandy Bridge is just another revision of the current processors and USB 3.0 is 1.0 above 2.0...faster than firewire

16. karboN.6 thread starter macrumors regular

Do you think if that happened it would make a big difference, but also the usb 3.0 may be pointless because i havent seen anything with 3.0 yet but that processor??

17. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

For your uses, a faster processor would mean nothing. You would be fine with a C2D. Just buy now.

18. karboN.6 thread starter macrumors regular

Yea it seems great i went to apple and they take 100$ off or so for student discounts soo :D for me

19. karboN.6 thread starter macrumors regular

and its probably going to be more expensive correct?

20. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

21. karboN.6 thread starter macrumors regular

Probably gonna go buy one next week... im soooooo excited!!

22. karboN.6 thread starter macrumors regular

So what does anyone think of the Macbook Air.. i saw it in the store and it was pretty cool but so impractical with the hard drive space... like wtf?

23. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Impractical? For who? The 21st century teen who downloads oodles of ill-gotten warez (or legally through itunes) ? how about The screenplay writer who only has a copy of Final Draft and nothing else on their machine? The agile IT professional who is given the ultra-portable as a way to quickly administer data center appliances? Or the mom of two who has no use for firewire and disk drives, only dabbling in iPhoto and playing farmville?

Granted, i'd NEVER go anywhere near a Macbook Air. I'd probably blow it up with all the stuff I do. It would cost me money in the end if I had to sit around twittling my thumbs while the pokey C2D nibbled through data sets. But not everyone is a power user such as myself.

24. TopperHarley macrumors newbie

According to the Buyers Guide link, their recommendation is to not buy the MBP unless you need it. They say there is an update to 2.8Ghz (on Oct 20) to the 15 and 17in models. But there was no mention of the 13in model. There's no info on that link in regards to the 13 in model, however. Do you think the "buy only" suggestion applies only to the 15/17, or to the 13' model as well?

25. arcite macrumors 6502a

arcite

Cairo, trapped in a pyramid with my iphone
    The upgrades won't be earth shattering, so if you need one now go for it. I just my macbook pro 13 last week...and life is good. :D