Macbook Pro Question

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Darius Aziz, Aug 3, 2011.

1. Darius Aziz, Aug 3, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2011

Darius Aziz macrumors member

Darius Aziz

So I know the probable answer here would be to look towards a windows machine, but I really hate windows, I have a very hard time using it for anything other then helping out my buddies with their PC problems.

Now I tried to convince myself that the AIR was the machine for me, but I keep coming back to; photo editing is really important to me and as much as I want to pretend I wont, I will likely end up doing a little gaming during my free time in College.

So I get thrown back to the MBP 15" upper end, because of the GFX memory. Only upgrade I put on it is the Matte screen, 2100 and some change.

First, with the possible refresh so soon is it dumb to go all out for this thing?

Second, am I dumb for forsaking windows 7 in this case? I prefer most things on OSX, and for some of the games I play I would have win7 boot camped, but for my primary computing experience I much prefer OSX

I also LOVE the design and aesthetic of the MBP, etc.

Thoughts?

2. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

Its not dumb at all. Refreshes happen, no biggie. Think of all the time you could be using it in the mean time. Also its not dumb to get a Mac. I use mine for:

Game development
    Photo editing
    3D modeling
    Learning Visual effects
    Programming
    Gaming (light, too busy making them)

and countless other things. I have a ton of experience with Windows, far more that OSX (I've only been using OSX for 3.5 years) and frankly, I hate using Windows for the work I do. Its just not stable enough for high end work where large amounts of data needs worked with efficiently.

If you want OSX, go for it.

3. FrankHahn macrumors 6502a

If you can get by with other machines, you better wait for the refresh of the Mac Pro line since buying a Mac Pro is a huge investment and the current model is obsolete in technology. If you can't wait to get a new Mac, you may consider getting a Mac Mini Server for the time being.

4. Darius Aziz thread starter macrumors member

Darius Aziz

Theoretically could I plan to resell it when the Ivy Bridge machines launch? But isn't that supposed to be later in 2012 ish?

yeah I will probably still go for it anyway! Id love a mac with a little power. My white macbook from 2008 is still treating me well!

5. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

Free time in college is for drinking beer and chasing the opposite gender.

Damn kids today...

6. Darius Aziz thread starter macrumors member

Darius Aziz

Hahaha, I am starting college after already working for a few years, and doing volunteer work overseas.

Engaged and don't drink.

Pretty sure I'll still go with the MBP, I think its increased ability with photo editing, bigger screen, and HD Cam all matter to me.

7. imswimmin macrumors regular

Wait, are you looking for a mac pro or a macbook pro?

8. Darius Aziz thread starter macrumors member

Darius Aziz

Sorry, I just realized that I wrote Mac Pro, no I mean MBP