Macbook Pro - question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Sceneshifter, Oct 28, 2016.

1. Sceneshifter macrumors 6502

Sceneshifter

Hello,

I haven't been following the mac updates since I got my current MBP and looked at the current update (like many I'm sure) to perhaps refresh my macbook as I'll be travelling to the US and they're quite a bit cheaper than in Europe for me. I purchased mine way back and is as follows:

According to my mac info I currently own this one:
    MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2012),
    2,5 GHz Intel Core i5
    4 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
    I also have a non stolid state 500gb hard drive (the spinning kind)

Now, I'm completely lost in fact, which model is the 'new' model of this one? I know I don't have retina and my wife bought around the same period a Macbook Air (999USD at the time if I remember) which to be honest, I don't know what the 'new' up to date model is nowadays either (would that be the 'macbook' or the 'macbook air'?). That is largely due to me not having followed the mac updates forever now, since this one is working fine. But also, it seems that there are a lot more choices now, I'm asking for your input here, as I did in the past before buying, you guys are awesomely informed...

I have two main questions:

1) Can someone please explain to me which model I need to look at to have the equivalent of this one, but the 'new' version? I'm really lost, and I understand from the fallout from the forums that the prices have increased, but I simply am honestly lost. I look on the store and I now see a macbook pro for 1500USD which only has 2Ghz i5 (?) and then one priced at 1300USD which has 2,7Ghz i5. When I grew up, the Mhz/Ghz went up, not down, so I'm clearly by definition old now lol

2) Also alternatively, is it perhaps to be recommended to 'upgrade' components to this one? I was thinking a SSD may be a good choice, but not sure if it's worth it as the laptop is now 4 years old (what can I expect to start breaking down soon?). In addition to that, I heard from a colleague that potentially I can swap out the CD/DVD and fit an extra SSD in there, is this true?

Apologies, but it seems I'm getting old and can't figure this out anymore :O

2. Clint_Barton macrumors 6502

Ok. so lets answer your questions backwards. if you want to upgrade your current machine, there are really 2.5 things you can do. 1. install a solid state drive. this is not very expensive, (275gb - 70$, 525gb - 120$) that is a very easy upgrade that will make your computer feel new. I have the same machine and i put a SSD in it, and rather than 3 min boot times, i have 30 second boot times. the second thing that you can upgrade is your RAM, while apple says that you can only put 8gb in it, i put 16gb in mine. and that would be around 80$. the 8gb kits are around 40$. the last thing that you could possibly do is remove your disk drive and put a second hard drive in there for storage. so take that information as you will.

2. when asking about what is the "new" version of your computer, i would think that the base macbook pro model with the touch bar would be the "new" version of your current computer.

if you have any further questions please let me know