Macbook pro question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by DCB1, Nov 19, 2008.

1. DCB1 macrumors member

I am in the market for a laptop....probably before Christmas. I will not be doing any heavy video editing or such.
    I am looking at the last generation Macbook pro... they can be had for just a little more than the new Mackbook. Anything I need to look out for? I know MacMall as a number of them.

Thanks

Peace

2. fleshman03 macrumors 68000

fleshman03

The middle of the line MB does not have a backlit keyboard nor a 15" screen.

You'll get better performance out of a 2.5 MBP and slightly better out of a 2.4 MBP when compared to a MB.

The Graphics is better on both the MBPs, but if you're not doing heavy video work it won't matter. Do keep in mind that with Snow Leopard (10.6) there will be the ability to use GPUs for general work too. I'm not too sure how the 9400 will work with that.

For general stuff, you should go with the MBP if:
    You need more screen at the trade off of extra weight (Not a lot, but some.)
    You really want a backlit keyboard and won't pay for the middle of the line MB.
    I'd venture that the battery is slightly better on the MBP, but I could be wrong.

My thoughts -
    If you can afford the 2.4 GhZ MB, go for that if screen isn't important.
    If it is or you can't afford the bump, get a MBP.

3. convergent macrumors 68000

convergent

I think that any of them are going to do you fine if you aren't doing heavy duty gaming and such. MacMall has some good deals, as do other places. Apple also has some good deals in their clearance center. I just ordered one of the early 2008 MacBook Pros and will get it from tomorrow. Someone posted the deal here on Monday at B&H Photo. It was $1499 for a MacBook Pro 2.6Ghz, 2G RAM, 250G Disk, 512MB vram and 15" matte display. For another $150 I ordered 4G of RAM and a 320G 7200rpm drive. While the new machines are appealing, this had some merit too. The new ones aren't available with a matte display, lost one firewire port, don't have the dual link DVI port (you have to buy a $100 cable), and don't come with the remote. If I hadn't gotten this deal, I was liking the deals I saw on the 2.4Ghz models too.

4. DCB1 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the advice.
    Who has the best prices now?
    Where is the best place to get with a matt screen?
    I will be ordering early this week....

Peace

5. DCB1 thread starter macrumors member

Ok.... got my new MacBook Pro Thursday.:D 2.4GHz, 2G of ram 200G hard drive and most important... matte screen! I am very happy with it... matte all the way for me.

Peace

6. cg165 macrumors regular

Haha, and what will you do for your NEXT computer? Whether everyone likes it or not, glossy is here to stay. It isn't easy as easy to get matte screens as it is glossy at this point. Just have a look at dell, hp, apple (obviously) and any other manufacturer. Most of their screens if not all are glossy already.

Congrats on your new computer though, I'm sure you'll enjoy it!

7. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Congrats on your splendid new (last gen) MBP and may it and you live long together and prosper; enjoy it and well done.

Cheers and good luck