Macbook Pro: question!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by lisa360, Jan 13, 2009.

1. lisa360 macrumors newbie

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Yep. That's the last model with the defective GPU.

3. lisa360 thread starter macrumors newbie

what does the defective GPU mean? does it still operate as good as the others, or is it like refurbished?

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Correction: potentially defective. Not all the GPUs are defective.

5. Hot Snowboarder macrumors 6502

Mine ran fine for 8 months. Then one day after waking from sleep the hole display became a mess of big colourful squares.
    Apple replaced it for me immediately and for free. So its really just an inconvenience. You would potentially be without a laptop for a day or two.

6. tcphoto macrumors 6502a

tcphoto

Yes, it's a good price and Apple will cover the graphics card for and additional year or two if a problem should arise. It's a known issue and it is covered. I would suggest buying AppleCare within the first year off eBay as insurance against other problems.

7. AR15MBP macrumors regular

I'm curious to know how Ebay sellers can offer Applecare at such discounts. Do they buy wholesale? Has anyone bought Applecare through Ebay and can recommend it?

8. HiFiGuy528 macrumors 68000

HiFiGuy528

Skip it and just get the new aluminum one. Getting that is like getting a 2006 "new" car. No matter how you look at it, it's a 2006.

9. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

I am dumbfounded by the ignorance of this statement.

To the OP:

There's nothing wrong with buying a last-gen MBP, especially with the pricing on refurbs and leftover new stock. Aside from the new case design and the convenience of easily replacing the internal hard drive, there are no truly significant upgrades in actual hardware. The CPUs and GPUs are marginally faster, that's about it.

As far as the potentially defective G84/86 GPUs go, I experienced a failure first hand. But guess what? That's what a warranty is for. I dropped off my dead MBP at the local Apple-authorized shop and got it back in FOUR DAYS (off subject - but try doing that with a Windows laptop...). My logic board got replaced and I haven't had a problem in 7 months so far. Inconvenience, yes, but at least Apple stands behind their products.

10. jon08 macrumors 65816

I got AppleCare for my MBP from eBay for $160, great bargain!! Just look for the power sellers / those with the feedback of 98.5% up and I guess you should be fine. Most of these sellers will e-mail you the code within one day after the payment.

11. Liquidpics macrumors member

Liquidpics

Jump on it!

To get the same specs as the 2.5ghz with the new unibody you'll pay $1000 plus dollars more. Jump on it!!!

12. MidwestStuck macrumors member

13. sal macrumors 6502

although I own the new model MBpro, I say if you can get the older model for cheaper, then you should get it. nothing wrong with the older model macbook pro. It's a great machine.