Macbook Pro question

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by muffiee, Aug 27, 2009.

1. muffiee macrumors newbie

Hi Guys,

Hope you will be able to help me out, i've just purchased a cheap used Macbook pro "17 model which has the old style 8600GT graphics card. Now according to apple there were a certain number of laptops in this line which had faulty logic boards and apple offer a free repair on these 3 years after the date of purchase.

The laptop i baught was purchased early 2008, what i need to know is will the seller need to transfer some ownership rights to me incase say a few months down the line the logic board fails and i need to take it to an apple store for its free repair? and if so how is ownership transfered? since the apple care was only valid for one year and has now expired that can obviously not be transfered

If your not sure what im talking about with regards to the faulty macbooks more info can be found here http://support.apple.com/kb/TS2377

Could really use some advice on this, ploud through alot of apples support forums but cant find anything for my situation.

Many thanks,

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

My understanding is with that issue, Apple will just cover it. If the owner had purchased Apple Care, then they would need to e-mail/fax you the information, but they did not. As far as I know, you are fine, as all of that stuff just follows the serial number.

3. muffiee thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the quick reply, thats good to know, it's just for peace of mind incase it does develop the dreaded distorted video problems.