MacBook Pro question

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by UglyLittleSpud, May 3, 2010.

1. UglyLittleSpud macrumors member

Hi,
    I currently have a pretty decent desktop PC running 64-bit Win7 Ultimate. Absolutely no problems at all, everything is running super smoothly. However, I'm really tempted to jump in a get a laptop to either supplement or replace my desktop entirely. My options are -

1. Keep the PC and get the white unibody Macbook as well.
    2. Keep the PC and get the 13'' Macbook Pro (maybe refurb).
    3. Ditch the PC and get the 15'' Macbook Pro i5.

My uses are fairly light: web browsing, writing, occasional gaming, photoshop, and occasional AVCHD video editing.

Which do you think is the best option?

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

How heavy is your gaming and how regular? What are its specs? Gaming and video editing are the only things where it's noticeably faster (or should as I don't know the specs), but for other things 15" MBP should be okay. Let me know about your PC so it's easier to help ;)

3. UglyLittleSpud thread starter macrumors member

Okay, PC specs:

q6600 @ 3.1ghz
    4gb Ram
    Radeon 4870
    2x 500gb hard drive
    24'' display

I game on it really infrequently, as I also have a PS3 which could cater for my gaming needs.

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Hmmm, it's a lot faster than MBP but if you have PS3 for gaming and MBP can handle any game fine too, so I'd jump for 15". Keep the 24" monitor and connect your MBP to it and maybe take the other 500GB out and use it as storage or for Time Machine.

5. Angra-mainju macrumors regular

I would go for get rid of the PC, get the MBP 15' and alternatively bootcamp XP

PS3 is very good for gaming

6. EasyJW macrumors member

Well i say get the 15 and ditch the pc, seeing as you have a ps3 [​IMG] but keep the monitor to hook your mbp up to... Orrr get the 13inch white macbook (really nice computer) and keep your desktop and your ps3 that way you'll have power portability and gaming

7. UglyLittleSpud thread starter macrumors member

Awesome advice, thanks everyone. So, the 15'' seems the most popular option, but would the 13'' be okay if I kept the 24'' display I already have? Is the C2D really that much of a problem if I'm editing AVCHD? Has anyone used the 13'' for editing without an external display? Too small?

Either way, the PC is history. :apple:

8. thecheda macrumors 6502

Get the 15, 13 is way too small to do anything on.

9. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

What app are you going to use for editing? 13" is pretty small for any serious editing but you should get the hi res 15" to really get an improvement from 13".

10. UglyLittleSpud thread starter macrumors member

I'm editing using iMovie 09/Final Cut Express. Nothing major, just home projects. The 15'' is the better choice, but there's just something really appealing about the 13'' form factor..

11. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

13" is sufficient for those tasks, 15" will of course be faster but as they are some home projects, I doubt you're in hurry with them. I like the 13" due its portability

12. UglyLittleSpud thread starter macrumors member

Okay, cool. I have to say, I'm more tempted by the 13'' due to form factor, price etc...there was just two things bothering me: the Core 2 Duo, and how video editing would be on a 13'' screen. Saying that, I'm going to be editing about twice a year - max. Not a huge concern.