Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Undo Delete

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 2, 2010
Hi.

I recently bought a second-hand MacBook Pro (5,5 - Mid 2009) which came with Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard. The previous owner had upgraded it to 10.6.

The previous owner had changed a lot of settings and installed many programs, and I would like to restore all the settings to default and delete all of his programs.

Would it be possible to do that without reinstalling OS X? The Mac came with an install disk for OS X 10.5 Leopard.

alust2013

macrumors 601
Feb 6, 2010
On the fence
You may want to reinstall, although you may be able to get away with creating a new user, switching to that, and deleting the old one, then going through and getting rid of apps you don't want.

Undo Delete

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 2, 2010
Thank you for replying so quickly.

I'd rather not reinstall OS X as the current installed OS is 10.6, and I don't want to install 10.5. I only have the 10.5 disk that came with the MacBook Pro.

I will try to use the new user method.

kny3twalker

macrumors 65816
Oct 25, 2009
Thank you for replying so quickly.

I'd rather not reinstall OS X as the current installed OS is 10.6, and I don't want to install 10.5. I only have the 10.5 disk that came with the MacBook Pro.

I will try to use the new user method.

It only $30 to buy snow leopard so it's not a huge investment.

MikeinJapan

macrumors regular
Apr 23, 2010
Tokyo
No reinstall is required. Simple set up a new admin account (make sure it is admin). Then login into that new account. Go back to the account panel in system preferences where you set up the new account and delete the old account. You will be given options on what to do with that accounts data. Select delete and wait. It can take some time to delete the data depending on hoe big the accounts data is and then done.

OS X very rarely needs to be reinstalled, this is a windows world solution. Sometimes a reinstall can help but very rarely.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.