Macbook pro QUESTIONS (new mac user)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by denvers, Sep 2, 2012.

1. denvers macrumors newbie

So, as the title, I've just switched from windows to mac. I'm happy with the results so far except that there are things that are (kind of) bothering me right now:

1. Hard drive space
    Since I've just bought my MBP yesterday, I haven't added ANYTHING on it yet (except for utorrent and VLC and few apps?). Now my question is, how come that in my MBP's storage info there are ~ 1GB audio, 400MB photos, 400MB Movies, and the "Others" is worth 10 GB! I want to believe that the "Others" is comprised of system files and such so I wouldn't be surprised if it has 10GB on it. But how about the rest? (Photos, movies, Audio)
    * see attached pic

2. Battery life
    When you click the battery icon on the menu bar, it'll show the remaining hours ,right? And it should be kind of consistent right (or with very little differences)? How come @ 99%, it displays "9:20 remaining", and after a few seconds, "8:05" remaining and few seconds after that, "7:15" (still @99%)? And suprisingly, at 96%, it displayed, "9:05 remaining". Is there something wrong with my battery?

I apologize in advance if these seem to be "dumb" questions as I've said I'm a new mac user. I'm not computer illiterate so should you discuss something regarding these, please don't skip the details. thanks! :3

Attached Files:

2. simsaladimbamba

What is this "Other" in the storage tab? What is eating up my space? by theSeb

To find out, where you storage capacity is being used, you can use the following free applications:
    Maybe try a combination of several, if you still can't find the "missing" capacity.

And another comprehensive post by Mister GGJstudios on that matter can be found here.
    And a similar thread to yours can be found here.

2. The shown battery life IS NOT CONSISTENT due to momentarily CPU usage determining that battery life.
    • BATTERY INFORMATION
    • BATTERY LIFE FROM A CHARGE
    • AC POWER
    • CALIBRATION
    • BATTERY LIFESPAN
    • CHECKING STATUS AND HEALTH
    • CHARGING
    • WHAT IS A CYCLE?
    • BATTERIES ARE NOT COVERED
    • BULGING OR SWELLING BATTERY

3. b
    To learn more about Mac OS X: Helpful Information for Any Mac User by GGJstudios

3. denvers thread starter macrumors newbie

Tried using those and I was able to find sleepimage (but did not delete it) which was ~ 4GB. I still can't find the movies and the photos and the audio files

4. denvers thread starter macrumors newbie