Macbook Pro Questions

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by greenmymac, Aug 3, 2008.

1. greenmymac macrumors 6502a

greenmymac

I currently own a Macbook and i'm going to update to a Macbook Pro. Now I like the Macbook Pros that are out now but I will be buying the Macbook pro at the End of august If the new ones are out and if i like them I will get that but if I don't will apple or anyone besides Ebay sell the current macbook pros?

and how does that Macbook Pro compare to the Macbook?

Thanks

2. Apple Ink macrumors 68000

Apple Ink

Apple will only sell Refurbished! Others like Amazon will sell them at heavy discounts only for about 3-4 weeks after the launch.

Just one simple thing: dedicated VGA, and thats rally all the difference!

3. merl1n macrumors 65816

merl1n

And Firewire 800...

4. greenmymac thread starter macrumors 6502a

greenmymac

I just wish apple would release some info on the new ones so I can make my decision early.... Now in the past when they released an update to Macbook Pros did the prices jump higher, lower, or stay the same?

5. merl1n macrumors 65816

merl1n

Usually around the same price, sometimes 100 - 200 lower, but I wouldn't count on it.

As far as an updated MBP, I wouldn't expect that until mid-to-late September.

6. Apple Ink macrumors 68000

Apple Ink

In the past.... the product is 'upgraded and a new processor, graphics, more ram added - same prices'
    the product is redesigned (and more than likely renamed) - prices go [generally] down!

7. greenmymac thread starter macrumors 6502a

greenmymac

Cool I want the current MBP anyways! Thanks

8. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

MacBook Pros have remained the same price since their introduction in 2006.

9. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Main difference compared to the MB:
    -Bigger screen
    -Different keyboard
    -Dedicated GPU
    -FW800
    -Better placed speakers (IMO)
    -Better build material (IMO)

Obvious:
    -Higher price

Less obvious:
    -Different target market

10. Chris Rogers macrumors 6502a

Chris Rogers

maybe the new price will dramatically decrease just like the iPhone

11. drewsof07 macrumors 68000

drewsof07

^ Highly unlikely. Think about the greater # or people who bought a 3G compared to the original iPhone simply because it's cheaper upfront. :apple: is not going to lose $ at all, they're going to boost profits big time. Plus AT&T is getting your extra $10/mo for the next 2 years lol

12. pdxflint macrumors 68020

pdxflint

I'll just add:
    -LED backlit screen
    -backlit keyboard
    -matte option for display, not just glossy like w/ MB.
    -a little bit bigger, heavier, but not that much.
    :)

13. drewsof07 macrumors 68000

drewsof07

The MBP glossy screen is a much higher quality than the MB IMO. The MB seems sort of light around the edges but the MBP has full deep colors all around.

14. greenmymac thread starter macrumors 6502a

greenmymac

What is the difference b/t LED backlit screens and like the MB screen?

15. drewsof07 macrumors 68000

drewsof07

If you look closely at the MB screen, you can see that sometimes it isn't entirely evenly lit across the screen. Also, the current MB screen requires time to warm up before it achieves full brightness. New LED screens evenly light the whole screen and achieve full brightness immediately. Also, LED screen should not lose their brightness over time like most older CCFL screens have and need significantly fewer replacements.

16. greenmymac thread starter macrumors 6502a

greenmymac

Wow cool! I just hope Apple waits till i buy my MBP before they announce the new ones cause I really really really want the current model!

17. drewsof07 macrumors 68000

drewsof07

Oh, and I forgot to mention that LED screens are better for the environment because they don't require a 1g drop of Hg to make them light up :rolleyes:
    They do provide a much better picture though and I highly recommend them.
    Any particular reason you are partial to the current model and don't want to wait for the next revision??

18. greenmymac thread starter macrumors 6502a

greenmymac

no reason I just like the MBP the way it is now!

19. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

The current MBP have LED backlight across the line with the exception of the standard MBP 17 which has a CCFL. So if your thinking of the MBP17 and want the LED backlight, you'll have to go for the BTO option. Other than that, there's no reason not to buy!!

I think in it's current form, 99% of all the bugs have been ironed out. If Apple changed the design and architecture to accompany the newer technology there will be a period where the first batch will be riddled with bugs.

Personally, I'm rather attached to my MBP even thought i have a faster system a few yards away!

20. greenmymac thread starter macrumors 6502a

greenmymac

Im going to get (if they are still in stock ) the 15'' model the 17'' are just to big for my liking!

21. greenmymac thread starter macrumors 6502a

greenmymac

Do the current MBPs have the yellow tint and screen flickering problem?

22. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Other posters have put it well; the MBP is better-built, (and, as UltraNEO put it, by now all of the glitches have been ironed out which is more than one could say for a new model with the inevitable teething problems), is extremely attractive in appearance, has more power, performance and a far better screen than the MB. I'm a switcher since April, and I love my MBP, it is an excellent machine; indeed, it is not even a massive presence on a desk, (or lap) the way some of the older laptops were. Moreover, the backlit keyboard is a pleasure to work with in the evenings. Cheers and good luck with it.

23. Killswitcher macrumors newbie

haha your almost in the exact same position as me bro,

I too will have enough money saved up at the end of this month (August) to buy my MacBook Pro. I also love the current model as-well, its simplistically beautiful and just an overall great machine.

On the other hand im going to wait it out for 3 to 4 week and see what the new release is like in september, i know the wait is hard but i would almost suggest you do the same thing, the last thing you want is to spend that money on your MBP and then when the new release comes out be like "Damn, i like the design of this more and its an updated more powerful machine for a potential cheaper price".

Im a little scared the design wont be as good as the current one though, ive seen some hash ups on the web for example by typing in new mac book pro into google and although these are completely unofficial the concept of a bad design scares me.

24. winninganthem macrumors 6502a

winninganthem

Only if they're defective. Mine doesn't have a yellow tint, but after a long while of being on, Flash videos online flicker and show white artifacts. I haven't had this problem in a long time though, and I'm quite happy for it. When it does happen though, restarting the system solves the problem.

For all the other great things about this machine, I'm ok with a slight imperfection. No computer system is ever 100% bugfree, but I feel that the MBP comes pretty close. Overall, it's very enjoyable to use and I find it worth every penny I've spent on it :).

25. drewsof07 macrumors 68000

drewsof07

You don't have a beeping/buzzing through your audio out jack with headphones in?