Macbook Pro questions

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by macgeek77, Sep 14, 2008.

1. macgeek77 macrumors regular

First, I have heard that as regards playing games, the 512 MB graphics card does not really help over the 256 due to BUS speed or something? If that is the case, in what way does having a 512 MB graphics card help?

Second, how much of a difference does going from 3MB L2 cache on the baseline Macbook Pro to the 6 MB L2 cache on the 2.5 Ghz Macbook Pro? In what ways does more cache help?

I am deciding between the 2.4 GHz Macbook Pro, and the 2.5 GHz Macbook Pros (15" only). I am a computer engineering student. My college has specified that I need at least a 128 MB video card minimum. On my own time, I will probably play some games, store a lot of media, record music for myself/my band, maybe a little photo or movie work. I am able to afford either model. Thanks for any suggestions!

2. polar-blair macrumors regular

Im trying to make the same decision, I think if you can afford the 2.5 MBP then go for it get the most powerful machine you can get is the advice I see a lot on this website, and anyway I think when snow leopard comes out you will get a better result with the faster GPU.

Im waiting for the new ones (Come on October!) So I guess I will have to make the same decision again with the new specced machines.