Macbook Pro questions...

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by mattyuk, Nov 3, 2009.

1. mattyuk macrumors 6502

mattyuk

Hi. First I'll introduce myself, Im Matthew from Cumbria in England and I've always been a PC user sadly (not the best first impression!). I've always loved the design and efficiency of the macs but couldnt really afford one. I'm a digital artist (shameless plug) and do a bit of photography as a hobby.

I'm just wondering if there is any members on here with a Macbook Pro, who uses Wacoms and Photoshop. I just want ideas on what they are like in terms of painting around the house or even outside. I'm also thinking of getting the new 24'' LED Display aswell for my room, so I will obviously get keyboard and mouse.

Yeah so basically im a noob to Macs, never had more than half an hour on them in shops so havent really got a full performance test out of it. If you can help that will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for reading, glad I joined.

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

The scandal! :eek:

Do you already have/have experience with graphics tablets? If so, they work exactly the same way on a Mac as on a Windows PC.

In any case, you can use them anywhere you want, as all of the ones I've used have been bus-powered. However, they're not exactly designed to be used on the lap. Find a desk or table to set things up. You can work just as easily at a picnic table outdoors as at a desk at home.

Me too. ;)

3. mattyuk thread starter macrumors 6502

mattyuk

cheers. yeah lookin back they were stupid questions a bit lol. im just addicted to the idea of getting a mac, and going through the setup pictures thread is just agony for me :D

at the risk of sounding even more noob, how does the wireless keyboard and mouse connect to the laptop? christ im bad, sorry guys!

PS - So the plan is MBP 15.4inch 2.8, 500gb, 24'' LED Display, keyboard and mouse (dunno which mouse to get). Plus, how does the 24'' display work with the MBP? Does it run ok, doesnt strain the MBP too much?
    And can you run it with the MBP lid down?

4. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Bluetooth. (See attached screenshot.)

Don't get an Apple mouse. They're annoying, and any mouse will work.

It's designed specifically to work with that machine, so it had better not.

Yes.

Attached Files:

5. mattyuk thread starter macrumors 6502

mattyuk

Oh man thanks a bunch! So Im thinking of getting the wireless keyboard and a magic mouse, but you say no?

6. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

I haven't used the Magic Mouse yet, but I have never used an Apple mouse that I've liked.

Bear in mind that the Apple keyboard is basically the same in layout and key shape as the MacBook Pro keyboard. Personally, I just plug in a mouse when I'm using my computer at a desk for extended periods.

7. mattyuk thread starter macrumors 6502

mattyuk

8. BobZune macrumors 6502a

Magic mouse is pretty nice, but you do want to read up/watch videos about it first before deciding if it will meet yoru needs. If you are near an Apple store, go try it out and see if you like it. (Note: The page back/forward feature works a lot better if you are sitting down with hand at level with the mouse, rather than standing up like most people do in the Apple store). I am used to multibutton mice (e.g., Logitech MX Revolution), but in about 4 days of using the Magic Mouse, I haven't really missed the extra buttons/functions. In addition, I have a USB multibutton mouse connected simultaneously -- live -- but sitting idle.

9. mattyuk thread starter macrumors 6502

mattyuk

Thanks for the comment. I will definitely get one of those, they look damn cool and seem very efficient with the scrolls, gestures, etc.

After all this lol, I'm torn between an iMac (the new quad core i5 version, 2.66ghz) and a macbook pro 15'' 2.66ghz.

But I could just get a 15'' MBP and the LED Display 24''. What to do!

10. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

That depends. How do you intend to use the computer?

11. mattyuk thread starter macrumors 6502

mattyuk

sorry for late reply.

I want a Mac really for photoshop, heard they handle photoshop really well, but CS4 I heard has been giving the Imac problems? maybe just pc users spreading crap haha. I just want a smooth machine that can handle a lot of work. So obviously the iMac suits that.

Then MBP, would be good for portable painting, doing studies round the house or outside. I think Ill get the new Imac (get the i7 option) then possibly get the MBP 15''.

12. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

I suspect so. I haven't heard anything of the sort. CS4 runs brilliantly on a stock Early 2008 iMac, and I sometimes have 3 or more CS apps open at once.

Any Mac suits that.

Personally, even with unlimited funds, I'd either get a 27" iMac and 13" MacBook Pro or MacBook Air, or a 15" MacBook Pro and a 24" display to use at my desk. Both the iMac and MacBook Pro has more than enough power for just about anything you throw at them, and maintaining two primary computers is more work than it's worth.

Sounds like the MacBook Pro is the way to go for you, if you anticipate working away from your desk a fair bit. Personally, I only use my laptop to take notes, use the internet, and do some web development while away from my desk, so my 8-year-old iBook is perfectly suitable for the task.

13. mattyuk thread starter macrumors 6502

mattyuk

Cheers. Its just the CD is like 700 quid haha. I think Ill go for an Imac and a MBP 15''. Thanks for your help!

14. mattyuk thread starter macrumors 6502

mattyuk

Im back, breaking my hand prohibited my computer time a bit haha.
    Im now thinkin of the Macbook 13'' with my current Acer 24'' monitor. I just wanna know why Apple designed this mini displayport cable so damn short?! So now I have to buy another dvi/vga cable! but i think the macbook is the way to go. a bit cheaper for what i need really.