Macbook Pro: RAM and Memory

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by trilamb, Feb 5, 2008.

1. trilamb macrumors newbie

Getting a 2.6 15" MBP.

Want maxed RAM and 7200rpm HD. Money not a factor.

Two questions:

In brands/types of RAM, are there better ones than others? If I want top performance from my RAM what is my best option? I've heard Corsair is good... are they all the same?

Whats the largest 7200rpm HD I can get? 160GB from apple seems small for my needs. But if I buy and install my own HD do I void the warranty? Don't think I'd want to do that since I'll be buying apple care and want them to fix things that break.

2. GibsonMarshall macrumors member

I got 4 gigs of RAM from OWC (www.macsales.com) . It's working great and it was only $100.00.

I think the biggest 7.2K HD is 200 gigs. I got that as well.

3. MarkW19 macrumors 65816

Generally, if you buy from a good place like Crucial (which are often the best/good prices anyway), you'll get good RAM. Buy in matched pairs wherever possible (just don't buy it from Apple, whatever you do!!).

The largest (and only) 7200rpm HD Apple offer as an option is 200GB (the one I have in my new MBP). Yes, if you install your own you'll void the warranty. But bear in mind - it's by no means a trivial task, it's not really meant to be done. The MacBook (non-Pro) on the other hand, is much easier to get at to upgrade the HD.

4. trilamb thread starter macrumors newbie

Appreciate the response.

When you say apple offers the 200GB 7200rpm option, what do you mean? The biggest I see they offer on the apple website is 160GB. Do you mean buying the 200GB separately and then having an authorized apple repair place install it? Or do you mean there's a 200GB 7200rpm version they offer, just not on the website.

5. trilamb thread starter macrumors newbie

nevermind. I'm dumb. I see that apple does indeed offer a 200GB 7200rpm through their site.

Ignore me. :)

6. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Don't match Kensington ValueRAM and the stuff Apple provides. I've got a lonely 1GB stick now and *only* 2GB instead of 3!!! Still was worth going from 1 to 2GB for $40. I was running about 7 apps at once last night on the early 2007 MBP.

I would REALLY love to know if hard drive upgrades are possible. It's amazing how 120GB doesn't cut it (even with almost zero video stored). I really wish they would've had a 7200rpm drive when I got mine. I think the higher-capacity was 4800 instead of 5400. Wasn't any way in heck I was going to do that.

7. noodle654 macrumors 68020

noodle654

Dude...let Apple do the HD...dont do it yourself because its a pain and you void your warranty. If you want you could bring it to an Apple Authorized Tech center and they could do it. For RAM, but either OWC or Crucial RAM. Don't get into other 3rd party RAM. They will work, but its safe to say that OWC and Crucial are the best hands down.