Macbook pro RAM configuration

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by machacker, Oct 31, 2008.

1. machacker macrumors regular

So, I just got my Referb Macbook Pro. I have to say, I love it. The crisper display and the upgrades away from the macbook really made me fall in love with the computer all over again. I love the old look and build of the MBP. The new one is nice, but I just didn't want to spend that kind of money. Besides firewire is important to me.

Anyways. I got the stock referb. 2gb of Ram. 200 GB HDD, 2.4 processor.

But I want to upgrade the RAM. I don't use boot camp as of right now, I just use it for school. But I am a programmer, so I do a lot of compiling of code, and lots of stuff like that. I would love to put 8GB of Ram in it. But I am concerned about the stability issues.

What is your advice on what configuration I should get? Should I just go up to a 4gb configuration. Or would I actually be able to make use of, or even notice the upgrade to 8?

2. InvalidUserID macrumors 6502a

InvalidUserID

I think the limit is 4GB on our MBPs.

The first thing I did when I bought mine was replace the RAM. I only had the original RAM in about a week but I could tell afterwards that it was faster when opening/running multiple programs.

I'd imagine that as a programmer that you would use some computing-intensive programs so the bump in RAM would help.

3. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

Six gb is currently the greatest amount with a stable system.

4. dal20402 macrumors 6502

If I were you, I'd go to 5GB right now. That way you can keep one of your existing RAM sticks.

8GB doesn't work. 6GB, as cave man noted, is the most that works.

5. machacker thread starter macrumors regular

Awesome. I think 5gb would kick ass actually. :D