Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JoshR8

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 8, 2015
I recently bought a Macbook pro from a friend for next to nothing, this is my first apple product beside the iPhone, I decided to upgrade the RAM from 6GB in total to 8GB which required buying a new chip. At first I salvaged a 4GB stick from an older laptop which did not work, which was odd since it's exactly the same as previous one so I bought another from Amazon which claimed to be compatible. After receiving it and swapping it out for the older one I'm getting the same issue, the laptop will not boot due to it probably not recognising it. As far as I know the 2010 Macbook should have a maximum of 8GB but I've run out of ideas as to why it won't accept it. Any ideas?

Thanks.

Last edited:

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
It could well just be a faulty RAM slot....

Exact details of release and model will help with diagnosis for those tech experts on here. Size 13 or 15 inch relkease early or late 2011.

Jozone

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2007
I recently bought a Macbook pro from a friend for next to nothing, this is my first apple product beside the iPhone, I decided to upgrade the RAM from 6GB in total to 8GB which required buying a new chip. At first I salvaged a 4GB stick from an older laptop which did not work, which was odd since it's exactly the same as previous one so I bought another from Amazon which claimed to be compatible. After receiving it and swapping it out for the older one I'm getting the same issue, the laptop will not boot due to it probably not recognising it. As far as I know the 2011 Macbook should have a maximum of 8GB but I've run out of ideas as to why it won't accept it. Any ideas?

Thanks.
Still have the link for the stick you bought from Amazon?

JoshR8

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 8, 2015
Still have the link for the stick you bought from Amazon?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B005LDLV6S?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

That's the RAM I purchased. It works fine with my previous 2GB stick but along side my previous 4GB it doesn't work.

It could well just be a faulty RAM slot....

Exact details of release and model will help with diagnosis for those tech experts on here. Size 13 or 15 inch relkease early or late 2011.

Turns out it's 13 Inch Mid - 2010, Sorry for misleading you!

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon

JoshR8

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 8, 2015
The 2010 models are notoriously picky about RAM. My 2009 was pretty picky too. It'd work with 1067MHz or 1333MHz RAM, but nothing faster than that.

I've read that the 2010 model will only work with 1067MHz RAM. It does look like it'll support 16GB if you wanted to go that high.

http://www.everymac.com/systems/app...o-2.4-aluminum-13-mid-2010-unibody-specs.html

Thanks for the reply, this is the first issue I've had with it after adding a new SSD. I don't understand why the new ram stick will work perfectly fine with the 2GB but not the 4GB?

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
Thanks for the reply, this is the first issue I've had with it after adding a new SSD. I don't understand why the new ram stick will work perfectly fine with the 2GB but not the 4GB?
Should be fine it just seems to be very picky on your machine, however 6gb should be fine for most basic use.

JoshR8

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 8, 2015
It could have something to do with the SPD timing programmed into the 4GB sticks of RAM. I'd suggest picking up a matched pair of 1067MHz RAM.

Think this is the issue. The new ram stick and my 4GB one from my previous laptop both work perfectly fine with the old 2GB already in the macbook but when working 8GB just doesn't work at all, at least I've worked out that it's not an issue with the sticks. Just going to cash out on another identical crucial stick.

Thanks for the help.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.