Macbook Pro, Ram & Logic Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by e-325, Jan 1, 2012.

1. e-325 macrumors newbie

Hello, everyone
    I just bought a Macbook Pro 15" model MD318LL/A, and I was wondering if I can change the 6GB RAM memory I bought for my Macbook late 2007 to this new computer. I've seen my 6GB are DDR2 and the 4GB that the new MBP are DDR3. Will I see any improvement in the performance with those extra 2GB or it would be almost unnoticeable?

Also, for the music producers, I changed my laptop because, even with those 6GB I put on my macbook late 2007, It was almost impossible to run a single song on Logic with third party plugins such Waves (specially with the MPX Tape Satulator, a couple of those and the computer freezes like a PC :D). Will be enough with this i7 Quad-core and 4Gb for not killing my workflow every 5 sec of performance?
    Thanks.

2. simsaladimbamba

DDR2 SO-DIMM modules have 200 pins, the DDR3 SO-DIMM modules have 204 pins, thus they aren't compatible.
    Just get 8 GB of RAM for 40 USD via Newegg or some other source (Crucial, Amazon, OWC).

I don't know about Logic though.

3. mgartner0622 macrumors 65816

mgartner0622

For logic I'd recommend 8GB of RAM. You can do it with noting else open, but if you have safari and a few helper applications open your RAM is quickly used up.