Macbook pro RAM question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Fpb1980, Mar 20, 2015.

1. Fpb1980 macrumors member

I just bought the new 2015 macbook pro retina 13 inch 8gb. I am new to mac and noticed that memory used was at 7.99 out of 8 gb on activity monitor and kernel_task was the highest. The memory pressure is low (low Straight line) green and there no other issues. I ran diagnostics but don't see anything wrong.

When I restart and close some items it goes back down to 3 - 5 gb. I have no installed programs like google chrome on my mac.

I've read some articles that this is normal but wanted to get everyone's opinion.

Thanks.

2. shawngt2 macrumors member

I am also very interested in this topic, as I am looking at purchasing a rMBP today. When I was in the store yesterday I also observed the same thing on the demos with all 8GB being used once I opened a few apps and when I closed them all the RAM would barely recover. I think 16GB is very future proof and peace of mind that you have maxed out!

3. Meister Suspended

Meister

4. shawngt2 macrumors member

Can we expect 16GB to also fill to max with a few programs open?

5. Meister Suspended

Meister

Yes

6. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

Yes

It will use all the RAM available to it as much of the time as it can. The only thing you need worry about is the RAM pressure graph the numbers are just confusing.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1756865&highlight=how+much+ram+do+i+need

http://www.switchingtomac.com/tutorials/osx/understanding-memory-pressure-in-os-x-mavericks/

Take a look at these links for some more info and explanations.

----------

For many people the CPU or GPU will be the problem way before they need more than 8Gb of RAM.

When you close Apps in OSX it leaves them buffered in the RAM for quick relaunch when needed, this RAM is reallocated when needed, this is not rocket science it is explained in excruciating detail in any number of threads and forums on this site and many others and still no one seems to be able to understand it.

7. Fpb1980 thread starter macrumors member